2,520 Summer jobs available for students | Manila Bulletin | Latest Breaking News | News Philippines
Home  » News » Provincial » 2,520 Summer jobs available for students

2,520 Summer jobs available for students

Cotabato City – The Department of Labor and Employment in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (DOLE-ARMM) is offering some 2,520 jobs to students and out-of-school youths in the region this summer – allocating P6.3-million for the initiative.

Muslimin Jakilan, DOLE-ARMM secretary, said each of the provinces of Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu, Basilan, and Tawi-Tawi will get 450 job slots, while the remaining 270 will be for the regional office here.

The summer job is pursuant to the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) flagship program of the DOLE national office under Republic Act (RA) 9457.

It seeks to help poor but deserving students and out-of-school youths pursue education through a 25-working day summer employment program.

Jakilan said they are taking steps to ensure that even students from the remote parts of the region will benefit from the program.

The DOLE-ARMM regional and provincial offices have already started accepting applications since February 26, and will last until March 25.

This will be for qualified high school, college, vocational students, and drop-outs between 15 and 25 years old, Jakilan said.

In Basilan, the agency had set up a booth at a trade and product exhibit recently, highlighting the 40th founding anniversary of the province to cater to the applicants.

Each SPES beneficiary will receive the P250 daily minimum wage in the region, where 60 percent of the wage will be paid by the employer, and the remaining 40 percent will be shouldered by the labor department, it was also learned.