Celebrity World

Manny Pacquiao remains a Kapuso

By CRISPINA MARTINEZ BELEN
March 24, 2009, 9:34am

In a phone patch interview with entertainment and sports writers last Monday noon, Pambansang Kamao Manny Pacquiao admitted his fault as he stressed “mas matalino na ako kaysa kahapon…lahat naman tayo nagkakamali, kahit mga pinakamagaling na kampeon…” and now that things had been ironed out among Solar Entertainment, GMA Network and MP Productions, Manny can now concentrate on his training.

He explained that the announcement by ABS-CBN, as well as the video footage shown weren’t supposed to be aired until after it has been proven that there was a breach of contract committed on the part of Solar Sports. That was his understanding and request, Pacquiao said. But because there was no breach of contract, Solar Sports will have the exclusive right to broadcast all his forthcoming fights on GMA-7 during the duration of their three-year contract.

Manny has chosen to remain a Kapuso, and when his fight with Ricky Hatton is over (for which every Filipino is praying that he will emerge the winner) he can also concentrate on his ongoing shows on GMA-7, “Pinoy Records” with Chris Tiu, and “Totoy Bato” with Robin Padilla. Also waiting for his availability are his own sitcom, a drama series, concerts in the US and Canada, and boxing clinics around the Philippines.

Atty. Felipe Gozon said “kami sa GMA ay galak na galak sa nangyari na ito, at kahit na nung it was being announced that he has entered into a contract with ABS-CBN, I knew that being a champion, he’ll be guided and he will know what is right.” The network welcomes Manny’s decision to retract his earlier announcement and honor his contract with Solar Sports.

Solar Sports head William Tieng expressed desire “to put everything behind us, we want Manny to just concentrate in his training, now that he has reaffirmed his commitment to GMA-7.

Solar Sports COO Peter Chanleong said the problem has been resolved although it has been a roller-coaster ride the past few days, “but it will never happen again, and from now on it will be Solar all the way… Manny was misguided and misinformed by people around him, but we’re one happy family again – Manny, GMA and Solar Sports…”

Gualberto Duavit, Jr., on his part said “We’re glad that the issue has been resolved… iisa lang naman ang hangad natin lahat – na manalo si Manny sa laban niya kay Hatton sa May 2... It's time to move forward…”

1st Impact Awards, a big success

The launch of the 1st Impact Awards was a big success. It was held last March 2 at the Blue Leaf Event Pavilion, Taguig City, with top leaders and members of the Philippine government, business, diplomatic corps and civil society in attendance in a full-packed and standing-room-only event.

It was a veritable Who’s Who in Philippine society as 2007 Star Awards recipient for Best Television Public Affairs Host, Marissa del Mar, assisted by Executive Secretary Eduardo R. Ermita, presented the recognition trophies to the recipients of this first-ever annual recognition event launched by “Up Close and Personal” in celebration of seven years of successful television broadcasting.

“Up Close and Personal with Marissa del Mar,” awardee for Best Television Public Affairs and Best Television Public Affairs Host in the 2007 PMPC Star Awards, is shown every Wednesday, 10 p.m. on IBC 13.

Tidbits: Happy b-day greetings today, March 25, go to Mrs. Loleng Panlilio, former Pangasinan Gov. Nancy Sison, Esther Vibal, Rosemarie Sy Gaisano, Dolly Nazareno, Josefina “Nena” Gutierrez, Danny Yu, Leo Katigbak, Iris R. Sanchez, Marizza Sayas, Henrick Chiu, Quintin Alianza and entertainment writer Dinno Erece…