Celebrity World
Why people brave all odds to join reality TV shows

CEBU CITY – There are more than one reason why people brave all odds to join reality-TV shows. The reasons were as varied as the personalities who presented themselves for auditions to “Survivor Philippines Season 2” last weekend. The two-day auditions were held at the Food Court of SM Cebu where on the first day (March 15) about 1,400 survivor wannabes patiently lined up for their turns to be interviewed.
On the second day (March 16), about the same number showed up but of course, only about 200 were given the callback for the third level interview. There were a number of them who also auditioned for the first season of “Survivor Philippines,” the winner of which as we all know, JC Tiuseco, now seen in the company of Arnold Clavio, et al three times a week on GMA-7’s popular early morning show “Unang Hirit.”
Many of the aspiring castaways cited poverty as the factor that prompted them to audition for “Survivor Philippines Season 2.” But others said they are challenged by the challenges (“I know I am able enough to meet the challenges and be the next Survivor,” was everyone’s bold statement during the second level interview).
But others said they just want to experience being in an island for 39 days. Anyway, whatever their intentions and goals were, they patiently queued up for their turn to be interviewed. One who isn’t physically strong to our mind said “Alam ko kaya ko ang mga challenges at kaya ko maging Survivor, kasi kanina pa ako nakapila, walang breakfast, walang lunch, walang dinner... pero kaya ko pa.”
SP Program Manager Neil Gumban, who headed the interviewers (the other two being Alex Dionisio, SP for Reality Shows and Donna Medina, SP Executive Manager), said they have so far found four probable candidates who may be counted among the 16 or 18 castaways of “Survivor Philippines Season 2.” Last year, they brought to Manila 10 Cebuanos who made it to the third level. “Actually, there were 20 of them na nasala namin from 200 aspirants, but the number was trimmed down to 10,” he said. Four Cebuanos made it to the lucky 16 Castaways for the first Season of “Survivor Philippines.” They were Zita “Nanay Zita” Ortega, Nikki Dacullo, Jervy “Patani” Dano, and Vevherly Gador.
From those who made it to the second level (we did not stay long enough to witness the third level auditions) were a beautician, a choreographer, a champion cyclist, a number of self-confessed gays, a quality control officer of a manufacturing company, some caregivers, a scout master, a painter, single mothers, a nurse, a dance instructor, a former performer, a feminist who said she is for women empowerment, and a 62-year-old former PLDT employee who also was an OFW who said now that his obligations as a father have been fulfilled with his children already out of college wants to try his luck with the challenges in “Survivor Philippines.” He believed he can make it to the island but the interviewees didn’t share his belief.
After all, they are looking for physically and mentally fit persons aged 18 and above who can survive in a remote island for 39 days.
They had varied descriptions about themselves: Extrovert, flexible, versatile, strong, matatag, unpredictable (two actually fought for this description), wise, confident, may charisma, talented, and unique.
Paolo Bediones super excited
“I’m really more excited with the Season 2 of “Survivor Philippines,” exclaimed the able host, Paolo Bediones, over lunch at the Golden Cowrie Restaurant along Salinas Drive. “In the first place, I didn’t know and expect that Season 2 would happen so soon. Kasi naman the first season was so successful so the network decided to have Season 2 this early.
Since the announcement for auditions came out, Paolo has been to all the places where the auditions were held: Dagupan, Baguio, Naga, and Iloilo before Cebu and Davao, and last March 23, SM Lipa City, on March 27-28, SM City North EDSA, and March 29-30, SM City San Lazaro.
“In terms of quality, surprisingly mas marami ngayon ang nasala namin,” Paolo said. They’ve found some with very distinct personalities and potentials.
Definitely, Season 2 of “Survivor Philippines” won’t be held in the same island in Koh Tarutaom, Thailand. “It will definitely be another island on the Planet Earth but I can’t reveal where we will be for Season 2,” Paolo said. The challenges have not been drawn yet, he added, “but rest assured, they will be safe and do-able.”
They will also inject a little more humor, the living conditions easier and more different. They can “borrow” from the challenges of other Survivor franchises “but we will do it with local color. And we will be focusing more on strategy this time,” Paolo stressed.
Lou Bonnevie back with a brand new album
The country’s foremost pop-rock icon is back with a fresh new recording, a 13-cut all-original album entitled “Only Human.” The songs, all written by Lou, reflect her many influences and show a great deal of maturity.
Released by Viva Records, “Only Human” is a blend of acoustic, pop, alternative, blues and rock and includes the brand new single entitled “LAFS” (Love At First Sight). “LAFS,” a middle of the road ditty is slowly becoming a favorite in popular FM stations. Its music video will be premiered in various music channels as Lou gets ready for her television album launch on April 5 in “SOP.” Completing the set of track are “Wanna Rock With U,” “Driftin,” “People Don’t Care,” “Lost,” “Very Special,” “Crazy,” a song about Mother Earth entitled “Hurting,” songs of hope and freedom “Courage” and “Say No,” and the title track “Only Human.”
The album prides itself to be participated and supported by some of the country’s top session musicians. Guitars are played by Sammy Asuncion (Pinikpikan), Kakoy Legaspi (Peryodiko), Cesar Aguas, Ardi and Lou Bonnevie herself. Bass are from Louie Talan (Razorback/Pinikpikan), Rommel dela Cruz (Freestyle, Barbie’s Cradle), Bobby Rasco and Bobby Taylo. Drums from Wendell Garcia (Pupil), Michael Alba and Jun Jun Regalado. Special musicians include a violinist, a banjo and accordion player and soul inspired back up vocalists. All piano and synthesizer tracks are from co-producer and creative musicman Toto Gentica.
“Only Human” is now available in all record bars nationwide. It is produced by Dimitri Productions and distributed worldwide by VIVA Records. To know more about Lou’s upcoming promo tour, log on to www.loubonnevie.com and www.dimitriproductions.com.
Tidbits: Happy b-day greetings today, March 26, go to former senator and ambassador to the US Ernesto Maceda, Atty. Beth Guerrero, Pepito Vera Perez, Manny Baldemor, US-based Rebecca Rocha, Margie Baterina, Ed Santiago, Alma Ibita Torrente, Jair Williams, Grace Presas-Sarmar, Josie Remolano, Kathryn Bernardo, Lydia Ortaliza of Chicago, III., and Fidez Cuchapin…



