Celebrity World

Entertainment industry mourns passing away of respected member

By CRISPINA MARTINEZ-BELEN
June 16, 2009, 1:24pm

The entertainment industry is currently mourning the passing away last Saturday (June 13) of a respected member, Douglas Quijano who succumbed to cardiac arrest at his vacation house in Countryville Subdv. Barangay Ayuti, Lucban, Quezon. He could have been 65 on July 24.

He had intended to spend his retirement years (for health reasons) in this community, in his P9-million house which was built almost two years ago. According to friends, Douglas had been his happiest self while in this community.

His remains, brought to Manila through the assistance of Pagsanjan Mayor E.R. Ejercito, now lie at Chapel 7 of the Heritage Memorial Park in Taguig City. Upon his wish, as told to close friends long before his death, Douglas will be cremated on Saturday (June 20). As of this writing (June 15), his family awaits the arrival of two of his four surviving siblings, who’re coming from Canada and the US. Also expected to arrive today is Richard Gomez and wife Lucy Torres, two of Douglas’ talents.

A noted talent manager (he was formerly chairman of the board of the talent managers group PAMI, a position now held by Ms. Ethel Ramos) who was previously entertainment writer, producer, scriptwriter and publicist, Douglas had under his wings some of the country’s most popular and most established actors, among them Richard and Lucy Gomez of course, Joey Marquez (who also became mayor with his guidance), the Yllana brothers Anjo and Jomari (Anjo was also vice mayor of Parañaque City), John Estrada, the De Belen sisters Janice and Gelli, Wendell Ramos, Antonio Aquitania, and Mark Anthony Fernandez.

Douglas discovered Tirso Cruz III, and in the past he was also credited for having helped out Aga Muhlach, Bembol Roco, William Martinez, Aiko Melendez now on her third term as councilor of the 2nd District of Quezon City; Eric Fructuoso, and Nadia Montenegro among others.

No Regal Films without Douglas - Mother Lily

Mother Lily has said that there could have been no Regal Films without Douglas Quijano who helped her out in past successful films of Regal. It’s also with Douglas that she has collaborated with in the creation of MAQ Productions. In fact, Douglas owned the rights to the “Shake, Rattle & Roll” franchise. Douglas, Direk Elwood Perez told us, initially produced “SRR” under an independent outfit and subsequently co-produced it with the Monteverdes under their own MAQ Productions.

Elwood also recalled that it was Douglas who was responsible for the successful showing of the independent outfit-produced “Huwad,” which marked the “second coming” of the late renowned actress Ms. Rita Gomez (who starred in the film with Vic Vargas, also now gone). He also said that the prefix “Ms.” to Rita’s name which became her permanent billing, was Douglas’ brainchild. Rita’s Rosario Drive home became the hub of movie writers led by Douglas and his ilk named her “mother” long before Douglas, Alfie, Lolit and company endeared themselves to the present “Mother of all Mothers,” Lily Y. Monteverde.

Douglas gained prominence as one of the publicists of Tower Productions (owned by the late Direk Artemio Marquez, Joey’s father) at its heyday and whose phenomenally successful films included “As Long as There’s Music” and other quickie teen flicks starring Nora Aunor.

After Ms. Rita Gomez, Douglas was behind the casting of Ms. Charito Solis in “Araw-Araw, Gabi-Gabi” under Lyra Ventures which he established along with Alex Asuncion and Danny Cabreira after severing ties with Juan dela Cruz Productions, a film outfit he put up with Joey Gosiengfiao and Elwood Perez (Elwood is now the only survivor member) with funding from Hernando Mendoza and Mac A. Fabian.

Douglas, Elwood also recalled, was responsible for the casting of Charito, Chanda Romero, William Martinez and others in Regal films. Douglas was also one of the scriptwriters of “Bawal: Asawa Mo, Asawa Ko” in the Liza Lorena-Vic Vargas segment of the trilogy. He also co-wrote with Joey Gosiengfiao the segment that co-starred Amalia Fuentes, Orestes Ojeda and Luis Gonzales.

In Sine Pilipino where he was a co-producer, Douglas was also co-scriptwriter of the movies “Lipad, Darna, Lipad,” “Zoom, Zoom Superman” and “Si Popeye Atbp.”

On the personal side, Douglas is said to have many scholars, one of them the child of his driver, and some of whom go to Ateneo de Manila University. He also has his own advocacies, one of them with the nuns in Gumaca, Quezon who he visited before his death. Gumaca is a three-hour drive from his place.

At the first day of his wake, Douglas’s talents all expressed grief and sadness at his passing. Joey even became so emotional he broke down. Gelli and Nadia said they’re going to miss him terribly.

* * *
Angelos gains popularity in the US

It’s only been a few days since the classical-pop quartet Angelos arrived from a series of shows in the United States, and yet they are already planning their trip back this August. This made them so excited of course.

The Angelos – George Sison-Tagle. Louie Abaigar, Paolo Libiran and Miguel Aguila – together with classical singer Jonathan Badon, recently toured the US with successful shows in McAllen, Texas and San Francisco, California.

In Texas, the group performed at the McAllen Convention Center and the Holy Spirit Catholic Parish Church for the Catholic Daughters of America (CDA). The shows, which earned them multiple standing ovations, were spearheaded by CDA regent Terri Contreras of the McAllen Chapter. They also performed at the prestigious Cine El Rey, in a concert produced by Bebra Perez, Myrna Grajo and Gay Divinagracia. The group sang before audiences who traveled hours from cities such as San Antonio, Corpus Christi, New Jersey and Houston just to see them.

Angelos also had the privilege of being the front act for singer-songwriter Stephen Bishop at the Intramuros in South San Francisco. The guesting was made possible by Fil-Ams Jamil and Zita Rey. They also performed before the Fil-Am community at St. Anne Church with Dr. Tom Stern, Dr. Yolanda Stern (chairperson of the Federation of Fil-Am Chamber of Commerce), and representatives of the Philippine Consulate in attendance.

The show was produced by JM and Marizel Mercado of Korusleine Productions for the benefit of the Carmelite Sisters in Angeles, Pampanga. Their last show was a Memorial Day tribute to Filipino war veterans at the Veterans Memorial Hall, which left the audience teary-eyed and touched by their heartfelt ballads and inspirational repertoire.

While in America, the group also accepted invitations to guest on TV such as one local Spanish television show, and “Balitang America” with host Gel Santos-Relos. They also paid a visit to the Maharlika Cultural Filipino Group where they held a vocal clinic for young Fil-Am children. A courtesy call to the Philippine Consulate before Deputy Consul Gen. Wilfredo Santos was also made.

Angelos will be returning to Texas in August with shows booked in McAllen, Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and New Jersey. They will also be performing again in San Francisco for the Pistang Pilipino celebration and a show at the historical Herbst Theatre.

This June, Angelos will be in Hong Kong for some shows at the Dragon Centre, Eton Properties, and Hong Kong Charter House.

* * *
Tidbits: Happy b-day greetings for June 17, Sen. John Osmena, Dada Lorenzanoa-Santiago, Jet Montelibano, Ms. Jenara R. Newman, Julie Cadiente, Nieves Rasiles, Carlo L. Celis, Maria Theresa Obsina, Elsie Abacajan, Prof. Marieta Escorpiso, Nene Fenix, Tessie Naidas-Dungca, John Kylle Martinez Lacaran, and Nydie M. Aguilar of Saudi Arabia… Happy wedding anniversary to Chito and Joy Gonzalez, and Bernard and Sheilla Lopez…