Luzon Newsbits
Skeletons of 2 men dug up
CABIAO, Nueva Ecija — The skeletal remains of two persons, believed to be victims of violence, were dug up by policemen in a remote village here last Friday afternoon. No information was immediately available from the provincial police investigators who were accompanied by operatives of Cavite Provincial Police Office (PPO).
Led by PO3 Danilo Ramos of the Cavite PPO and Nueva Ecija Provincial Police Office headed by Supt. Raul Apostol R. Valencia, the policemen dug the graves pointed to by an informant. Chief Inspector Teter B. Madria, Cabiao police chief, said the skeletal remains were identified by their relatives as those of Arnaldo Balmeo y Villacorte, 40, and Cristo Rey Delfino y Baculbaz, 33, both of Barangay Poblacion, San Ildefonso, Bulacan. They were identified through their clothes and belts. Authorities of the Nueva Ecija Police Crime Laboratory took the skeletons for examination. A certain Roger Santos had reportedly pointed to the location of the skeletons. (Magtanggol Vilar)
Cops seize loose gun
CABANATUAN CITY — A village councilman and his neighbor are in hot water following the discovery of several firearms in their residence. Supt. Efren Ramos, chief of police, identified the two suspected gun holders as Modesto Bacani, alias ‘Medes’, barangay councilman, of Purok 4; and Freddie Pantilinan y Fajardo, 35, married, of Purok 1, both of Barangay Obrero, this city. The discovery of the firearms and ammunition came the after the service of search warrants issued by Cabanatuan City Regional Trial Court Judge Virgilio Caballero of Branch 30. Bacani’s house yielded one Shooter caliber .45 pistol with Serial No. M02041048, and one Taurus PT92 caliber 9mm pistol with Serial No. TPD795900 with several assorted ammunition. Taken from Bacani’s house were one Smith & Wesson caliber 9mm pistol Model 639 with Serial No. TBM1035 and assorted ammunition for calibers .22 and 9mm. The two failed to present any document covering the firearms and ammunition. (MCV)
Hanjin safety improving, but...
SUBIC BAY FREEPORT — The committee on labor and employment of the House of Representatives was impressed by the improvement of work-safety condition in the shipbuilding facility of Hanjin Heavy Industries Corp. (HHIC) here, but is asking the company to adopt more safety measures. The committee, headed by chairman Rep. Magtanggol Guinigundo (2nd District, Bulacan), conducted last week an inspection of the shipbuilding facility in Subic’s Redondo Peninsula. Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) officials, who accompanied the House team, said the lawmakers wanted to see for themselves how the workers fared at the Hanjin facility. “The visit is in connection with the on-going committee hearing to determine how safe the facility is, and to evaluate the working conditions of the workers in the Hanjin shipyard,” Guinigundo said. Other committee members who joined the inspection were Representatives Carlos Padilla (Nueva Vizcaya), Joel Maglunsod (Anak Pawis), Mitos Magsaysay (Zambales, 1st District), Rafael Mariano (Anak Pawis), Walden Bello (Akbayan), Edno Joson (Balane-Kampi), Rufus Rodriguez (Cagayan de Oro, 2nd District), and Monico Puentavella (Bacolod). The lawmakers were accompanied by Region 3 Director Nathaniel Lacambra of the Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE), Director Brenda Villafuerte of the DoLE’s Bureau of Working Conditions, and SBMA officials led by Senior Deputy Administrator Ramon Agregado. The team was welcomed by HHIC General Manager Taek Kyun Yoo, who briefed the solons on Hanjin operations. SBMA records show 19 fatal accidents have occurred in the shipyard since it started operations in 2006. The incidents prompted SBMA and other government agencies to suspend Hanjin operations and blacklist some subcontractors. (Jonas Reyes)

