Visayas Newsbits
Party-list bares campaign plans
CEBU CITY – During its 2nd National Congress attended by around 280 representatives from its different chapter members all over the country, the COOP-NATCCO party-list bared its national campaign strategy for earning another seat in Congress. Currently, the party-list, which is a network of over 400 primary cooperatives nationwide and which has represented the country’s cooperative sector in Congress since 1998, has earned two seats during the last elections represented by Jose Ping-ay and Cresente Paez. Ping-ay, during a press conference the other day at this city’s Crown Regency Hotel said stronger support from its members is being pushed since the party-list is aspiring for re-election next year and is aiming for a third seat in the House of Congress. “The party-list needs more and stronger support from our chapter members that is why we are encouraging all our members to actively campaign,” he said. Ping-ay said the total effort of the party-list’s leaders and members will surely help it attain its target for next year’s election. Ping-ay stressed that they are also now identifying key cooperatives that will actively undertake the campaign through financing and leg work. (Phoebe Jen Indiño)
Biliran OFWs increase
NAVAL, Biliran — Governor Rogelio Espina of this province is stepping up the recruitment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) through the provincial capitol’s Public Employment Service Office (PESO) branch as part of his crusade to provide more employment opportunities to the people here. Espina revealed this as he concluded a 4-day special recruitment activity (SRA) held in this town. According to Espina, the Provincial Government maintains active links with Philippine Overseas Employment Agency (POEA) accredited recruitment agencies through several years of conducting jobs fairs to promote overseas employment among Biliran folks. In this connection, the Provincial Government has launched the Biliran Overseas Workers Assistance Program to provide financial assistance to OFW applicants from this province which they could use to pay for processing and placement fees. PESO Manager Lorena Dayagbil disclosed that Worldview International Services Corporation (WISCO) has conducted a most recent special recruitment activity (SRA) last Aug 17 to Aug. 20, 2009. The agency has a POEA-approved job order for recruitment of domestic helpers (DH) for Hongkong and Taiwan. Subsequently, a Chinese employment principal from Hongkong, Leung Kwei Chung, conducted a final interview among those applicants who passed in the earlier recruitment activity conducted last July 20 to 24, also in this town. (Jack C. Gadaingan)\
Re-channeling of riversrs urgrged
DUMAGUETE CITY (PNA) – Negros Oriental Provincial Legal Counsel Erwin Vergara, who had been entrusted by Negros Oriental Governor Emilio Maicas II to take charge of the river re-channeling project in the province has confirmed that there are at least six pending requests asking that work be done on such project already. The requests include those from the local government units (LGUs) of Vallehermoso, Guihulngan, Jimalalud, Tayasan, Pamplona and Siaton. The request comes as recent flooding incidents in Dumaguete and various parts of the province have raised public concern. The provincial government has decided to prioritize the re-channeling of Okoy River to save the Tulay ng Pangulo bridge connecting barangay Camanjac in Dumaguete and Calabnugan in nearby Sibulan town. The project will also help save hundreds of lives, properties and some hectares of agriculture crops damaged from flooding. At present, six private contractors have been given special permit for the re-channeling of Okoy River. The special permit is only valid until the re-channeling project is finished.

