Luzon Newsbits
DPWH finishes 8 vital projects
SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union — District Engineer Ray Elaydo of the Ilocos Sur 2nd Engineering District Office reported that at least 14 pump-priming projects have been implemented by his office. In an interview during the recent regional staff meeting held recently in this city, Elaydo said that the accomplishment report on the projects had been submitted to the Region 1 office of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH 1) headed by Director Mariano R. Alquiza. He said that eight of the 14 projects have been completed. These are the upgrading and rehabilitation of the Sta. Cruz Road, Manila North Road-Sta. Cruz section, Manila North Road-Sta. Lucia section, Manila North Road-Sta. Maria section, Manila North Road-Narvacan section, Manila North Road-Santa section, and the Solbit Road going to Narvacan. Elaydo said that the six ongoing pump-priming projects include the improvement of the Manila North Road -Tagudin section, Manila North Road-Santiago section, Manila North Road-San Esteban section, Quirino-Cervantes Road, Sabangan-Cervantes Road, and the renovation of the district engineering office. (Fa Sison Almazan)
Drugs suspects slain in Cavite
IMUS, Cavite — A suspected drug pusher was shot dead by a policeman when he reportedly resisted arrest in an alley in this town over the weekend, police said. The dead man was identified as Archie A. Timonera, 25, of General Topacio St., Barangay Poblacion here. Timonera was declared dead on arrival at the Our Lady of Pillar Medical Center due to a bullet wound in the armpit. Initial investigation showed that the incident happened on Halang St. after Supt. Ulysses G. Cruz, Imus police chief, ordered an operation regarding alleged drug pushing activities in the area. PO2 Gilbert Camaclang shot the suspect after he and PO2 Bernie Espiritu arrested Timonera and 24-year-old Charlie Soriano during the operation. PO1 Dennis Magsaysay said Camaclang shot Timonera during a scuffle while Espiritu held Soriano. Allegedly seized from Timonera and Soriano were seven small plastic sachets containing suspected to be containing shabu, Magsaysay said. (Anthony Giron and Del Villanueva)
3 persons killed in Isabela mishap
Three persons died Monday morning in a road accident in San Mateo, Isabela, it was reported. The accident involved a passenger bus and a private vehicle, a police commander said. Police identified the fatalities as Ulpiano Tabangcura, driver of the Toyota Innova, of Mabalacat, Pampanga; and Evelio Tulanaun and Kenneth Arvin Taguiam Tulauan, both of Tugeugarao City. Chief Inspector Ismael Atluna, San Mateo police chief, said the three fatalities were members of the Philippine Practical Shooting Association as indicated by the identification cards taken from their bodies. Atluna said a Florida passenger bus was trying to overtake a tricycle in Barangay Sinamar Sur, San Mateo town when it hit a Toyota Innova vehicle, which was travelling on the opposite lane. The impact of the collision, Atluna said, instantaneously killed the three occupants of the Toyota Innova. (Aaron Recuenco)
‘Hot logs’ seized in Pangasinan
LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — Policemen confiscated a truckload of illegally sourced logs and held three men, including the truck driver, for questioning. The truck was intercepted when it passed at a checkpoint in Barangay Baay, this town before dawn Monday. Supt. Harris Fama, Lingayen police chief, said that his men led by Chief Inspector Larry Toledo were manning a checkpoint on the highway in Baay when they stopped the truck with plate number RBA 482 driven by Randy Busog. The policemen found out, Fama said, that the truck was fully loaded with logs of various tree species such as tanguile, tiaong, guijo, mayapis, palosapis, lauan, dugoan, and arnato with total measurement of 2,000 board feet. (Mar Supnad

