Luzon Newsbits

Bulacan motorist assistance set

March 27, 2010, 7:24pm

MALOLOS CITY, Bulacan — Governor Joselito “Jonjon” Mendoza vowed Saturday to provide safe and secured travel to motorists passing through Bulacan this Holy Week, starting March 31, through its Lakbay Alalay Sumvac (summer vacation) program. Mendoza said the program will be implemented through the coordination among the Provincial Disaster and Management Office, volunteers from the Capitol, government agencies and non-government organizations.

The program provides a help desk from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on-the-spot assistance to motorists through a 24-hour emergency response team that may be called through Hotline No. (044) 791-0566. (Freddie C.Velez)

Dead dolphin's gunman hunted

SAN JUAN, Ilocos Sur — Police operatives are investigating the shooting to death of a dolphin found on the shore in Barangay Sabangan, San Juan, Ilocos Sur, Saturday morning.

Benny Saraos, Head of the Ilocos Sur’s Bureau of Fisheries and Acquatic Resources Office, told the Manila Bulletin that the dolphin had succumbed to bullet wounds in different parts of the body. Saraos said they are coordinating with the local police to identify the gunman responsible for killing the dolphin which is an endangered species. Senior Inspector Sosimo Racho, San Juan police chief, personally assured that the case will be investigated thoroughly. Local residents put the dead dolphin in a sack and buried it. (Freddie G. Lazaro)

NBI targets 8 Tanza ‘killers’

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has launched a hunt for eight people tagged in the death of a businesswoman who earlier filed estafa charges against some of the suspects in Tanza, Cavite last year. On Aug. 26, 2009, the NBI Special Task Force (STF) filed charges against the eight suspects and two “John Does” in the murder of Dulce Jansuy Amin, of Firewood Street, Sta. Cecilia Subdivision in Tanza. Charged with murder were Ma. Teresita Hernandez Solis, alias “Butchay” and “Tessie,” of Crispin Cenizal St., Biwas, Tanza, Cavite; Crisostomo Abad Solis, alias “Cris,” husband of Teresita, businessman; Ana Maria Pacumio Sortijas, alias “Nengnong” and “Neneng,” of Crispin Cenizal St., Biwas, Tanza, Cavite; Paulino de Guzman, alias “Man,” of Bucal, Tanza, Cavite; Roberto Antero, f Bucal, Tanza, Cavite; Jory Bendijo, alias “Lito,” of P. Burgos St., Poblacion, Rosario, Cavite; Napoleon Abad, alias “Mang Nap,” “Lito,” of Santa Cruz St., Tanza, Cavite; and Geronimo Riginding, of P. Burgos St., Poblacion, Rosario Cavite. (Jeamma E. Sabate)

Fault, landslides wreck P3.3-B road

BAGUIO CITY — The Cordillera office of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) here declared Saturday that the cracks and sinking portions of the P3.3 billion Bontoc-Tabuk-Tuguegarao Road did not reflect poor workmanship.

In a comprehensive geo-hazard assessment report submitted to the Cordillera office of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for proper guidance, the MGB-CAR reported that the road defects on the 180-kilometer road which links Mountain Province, Kalinga and Cagayan is due to faults and landslide deposits. The MGB issued the report to counter claims that the road was poorly built. (Dexter A. See)