Celebrity World

Donna Villa named ‘Darling of the Press’

By CRISPINA MARTINEZ-BELEN
May 5, 2010, 5:04pm
Donna Villa and Carlo J. Caparas
Donna Villa and Carlo J. Caparas

When is an award a real award and a satisfying one? Not in the eyes of the beholder but in the eyes of many? In the recently concluded PMPC Star Awards, Ms. Donna Villa won the coveted “Darling of the Press” award.

It’s not surprising if the mega-producer was voted overwhelmingly (by more than half of the voting members of the PMPC) as “Darling of the Press” that night. Because Donna has always been well-loved and respected by the entertainment press. She bested the other nominees who included Mother Lily, Angel Locsin, Annabelle Rama, Dingdong Dantes and QC Vice Mayor Herbert Bautista.

It is to be noted that this plum award usually generates controversy whenever it is given to someone not deserving in the eyes of some. Because it should be given to the “apple of the eye” of most of the celebrities, young and old. It is recalled that a big star even cried when she wasn’t named the winner of the award several years back.

This time however, the winner, Ms. Donna Villa, dubbed the mega-producer in the local entertainment industry, did not elicit any protest. In her speech, Donna said “kung ako ang Darling ninyo, kayo naman ang Sweethearts ko,” for which she received a thunderous applause from the showbiz writers.

A respected veteran actress was even heard saying during the awarding that Donna isn’t only a “Darling of the Press,” but a real “Darling of Showbiz.” It is indeed a rare time when a prestigious award is so well-received by the chosen one and her peers.

So, congratulations to Ms. Donna Villa, for being such a darling to all.

By the way, Donna’s beloved husband National Artist Carlo J. Caparas, also received the “Gawad ng Sining” award, a first to be given by the PMPC.

Just like Donna, not a word or a whimper of protest was given to Carlo.

• • •

Nadia clears issue with Mark Herras

Nadia Montenegro has gotten herself into another controversy and this time it concerns her daughter Ynna Asistio’s boyfriend, heartthrob and GMA Artist Center’s talent Mark Herras. Nadia is said to have influenced Mark into deciding to manage his own finances, which was previously handled by his adoptive father. This was denied by Mark and in last Saturday’s episode of “Startalk,” the actor said he is of age and he just wanted to take care of his own money.

To clear herself, Nadia even wrote Mark’s father a letter she said. As to the accusation that she is a “bad influence” to Mark, Nadia said “kahit wala na sila ng anak ko, hindi ko papayagan na mapahamak si Mark, ganyan ko siya kamahal... maganda ang pagpapalaki sa kanya ng mga magulang niya...”

On her part, Ynna said “siguro dahil hindi nila kami masiraan ni Mark, sila naman ng nanay ko ang sinisiraan... sobra kasi ang bonding nilang dalawa.”

In a recent presscon at GMA Network Center, Mark admitted that Ynna is very special to him. “Ibang-iba ang relationship namin ni Ynna, and I value so much the trust and confidence of her parents.” (Ynna’s  father is former Caloocan City Mayor Boy Asistio.) He added: “Welcome na welcome ako sa bahay nila at kahit wala si Ynna, bumibisita ako. I know my limitations and I won’t do anything na ikakasira ng pagtitiwala nila sa akin... kaya 500% akong nag-iingat. Kasi ang dami ko pang goals na gustong makamtan.” One of them is a mansion that he wishes to build within the next five or six years.

Anyway, the popular actor dubbed as the “Bad Boy of the Dancefloor,” has been swamped with more projects lately and maybe because he has been working so much he suffered from heartburn recently. It was no cause for alarm though and Mark said he’s okay now.

“Now I know better to take extra care of my health especially since there’s a lot to be done,” he said. “But, everything’s fine – I’m okay.”

Career-wise, “okay” is an understatement. He currently juggles work between Sunday variety show “Party Pilipinas” and kantaserye “Diva.” He will soon start on a third show, a drama series titled “Langit Sa Piling Mo.”

On “Party Pilipinas,” Mark works with renowned choreographer Fusion (who has worked with Beyoncé and Lil Wayne among others) for his weekly numbers. He says that while Fusion is easy to work with.

“Diva,” on the other hand, has a concept that excites Mark to this day. Although the kantaserye is already mid-way through its run (on its 10th week now), the actor said there are still a lot of twists in the story that viewers should look out for.

Mark is Joey Pepe Smith Fernandez in “Diva” which is topbilled by Regine Velasquez. Also featured stars in the series are Mark Anthony Fernandez, Rufa Mae Quinto, TJ Trinidad, and Glaiza de Castro.

In “Langit Sa Piling Mo” Mark will be paired with Heart Evangelista for the first time. The two had previously worked together in “Luna Mystika” but they were not a loveteam then.

• • •

Lito Atienza to put Baywalk in the world map

When he was mayor of Manila, one of the development projects credited to then Mayor Lito Atienza was the Baywalk along Roxas Blvd. If reelected, he said he is going to build a new Baywalk – not along The Strip but on Manila Bay. “This New Baywalk will put Manila in the world map,” he told entertainment writers during a recent luncheon press conference held at Bistro Remedios in Adriatico, Manila.

He said he will also create a better business climate to entice investors, he said. His Buhayin ang MayniLA also include the renovation of Rest & Recreation Centers such as the sports complex in Bagong Buhay, San Andres, Dapitan, Del Pan and others. He will also continue the scholarship program he started for the poor and those students with special talents, “kasama na ang allowance ng mga nagte-training sa pagkanta at pagsayaw,” he said.

Secretary Atienza is happy and proud about his son Kuya Kim’s achievements as TV host (“Umagang Kay Ganda,” “Showtime,” and “Matanglawin”). “Ito ang gusto niya, hindi politics. Ngayon, kilala na ako as the father of Kuya Kim.”

When Kuya Kim was bitten recently by a lizard, Sec. Atienza expressed concern but he said “lumaki siya, in fact lahat ng mga anak ko, with animals. Kuya Kim knows what he’s doing. He can take care of himself…”

• • •

Tidbits: Happy b-day greetings on May 6 go to Beny de la Luna of Philkraft Marketing Corp., Dr. Lupe Lazaro, Reynard Mancao, Eddie icente, Dr. Buddy Valerio, Gerald Tabios, Meg Quisias, Bobby F. Rodolfo, Arlene L. Jacobo, Engr. Benjamin Jonson and Tessie Mariano, former MB librarian. Happy wedding anniversary to Ed and Marissa Cepe. “Presidentiables Gut Talent” final extended run is on Thursday, May 6, at the Music Museum. Fun starts at 8:30 p.m. The Miting de Avance/Concert of Alyansa ng Media at Showbiz (AMS) will be held on Friday, May 7 at 7 p.m., at SB Plaza, Batasan Rd. (across Congress Bldg.) The event is billed as “A-wit, M-usika at S-aya sa 2010.”

AttachmentSize
Donna Villa and Carlo J. Caparas13.07 KB