Luzon Newsbits

Taytay set for rain gauging

June 26, 2010, 7:45pm

TAYTAY, Rizal – The local government here is tapping the expertise of the state weather bureau and the private sector for its disaster preparedness program. Mayor Joric Gacula said that they have already started coordinating with the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) for a training program in rainfall monitoring under the “Project Rain Gauge (PRG)” of Smart Communications, Inc. (SMART). Gacula said that members of the local disaster coordinating council and representatives from various sectors, including public school teachers, students, barangay officials and members of the Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council (PDCC) of Rizal would be taught and trained to observe and record rainfall using the GSM and web-based water level sensors and rain gauges which the local government already has. (Nel B. Andrade)

Skeleton found
CAMP GEN. MALVAR, Batangas – A human skeleton was found by residents in the dead river in Barangay Balayong, Bauan, this province, last Friday morning, leading police to believe that a crime had been committed. Chief Inspector Luisitro Sanchez, Bauan chief of police, said village watchman Juanito Azucena and two other residents were collecting plastic bottles at the dead Inbuli River around 8:30 a.m. when they stumbled over a shallow grave that yielded the human skeleton. Responding police collected as evidence at the site two bullet casings and a slug for a .45-caliber gun; a sack, a scapular; clothing; strips of aluminum foil; and empty plastic sachets that could have contained “shabu,” said Bauan. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

New Cavite P.D. to be tested
IMUS, Cavite – From Quezon City to Cavite, Senior Superintendent Danilo L. Maliglig has left his administrative work for more operational control in the fight against crime in this province, where crimes, loose firearms, drug trafficking, and gambling pose an everyday challenge to the Police Provincial Office (PPO) he now heads. “His (Maligalig’s) mettle will be tested against all forms of criminality,” a police official who declined to be identified said. Cavite was tagged No. 1 among the provinces in Region 4-A in terms of loose firearms seizures and arrests during the gun ban period from January 10 to June 9 this year. Caviteños expressed hope Maligalig can confront all the threats to security and peace and order head-on. (Anthony Giron)

Truck of cable wires seized
SAN FELIPE, Zambalez – Authorities here have intercepted a truckload of telephone cable wires at a checkpoint on the National Highway in Baranggay Feria of this town, police said Saturday. Sr. Supt. Rafael Santiago, Zambales Police Provincial Office (PPO) director, said his men flagged down a ten wheeler with license plates RHJ-277 and found stolen PLDT cable wires. Santiago said that when the authorities flagged down the ten-wheeler, the driver ignored the signal and sped away. Police gave chase and cornered the truck in Barangay Faranal, here. The driver of the truck, Enofri Brinquiz Jr., 44, of No. 2 Road 2, Minuyan, San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan was arrested on the spot. Confiscated from the suspect were four improvised steel saws, three homemade shotguns, five live ammunition for a shotgun, one plate number UEZ 921, a Nokia 1120 cellular phone, and tons of cable wire belonging to PLDT. (Jonas Reyes)