Luzon Newsbits
Baguio typhoid cases up by 50%
BAGUIO CITY – The local health department here is alarmed over the continuous rise in typhoid fever cases, especially among children, in the first semester of this year following reports that the number of cases rose by 50 percent. From 106 typhoid fever cases recorded by the city health department for the first semester last year, the said number of cases increased to 159 cases for the same period this year prompting health authorities to issue a warning to the public to refrain from eating street foods that are exposed to the pollutants. Worst, almost 70 percent of the typhoid fever cases are children aged five to 16 years old, thus, the need for the local health office to conduct a massive information and education campaign in public and private schools in the city to warn the children on the dreaded disease. While there were no recorded deaths due to typhoid fever in the city, health experts cited preventive measures must be done to protect the children and adults from being infected with the illness in the coming days and abate an outbreak of the disease, especially in the various public places. Aside from typhoid fever cases, the city health office is also closely monitoring other rainy day diseases such as ordinary flu, cough and colds, and the dreaded dengue fever and A(H1N2) virus so that the health condition of the people will not be compromised. (Dexter See)
Military seizes arms cache
CAMP CAPINPIN, Tanay, Rizal – Through the cooperation extended by civilians, military authorities seized firearms and ammunitions from a ravine believed to be the storage area used by the New People’s Army (NPA) in Real Quezon. In a report from acting Civil Military Operation Officer 1Lt. Mariadita Omandam of the 202nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry (Jungle Fighter) Division, the storage area was found at a ravine in Barangay Maragondon, Real, Quezon. Military authorities led by 1Lt. Arnel Nambatac of the 1st Infantry Battalion seized five Armalite rifles and assorted ammunitions believed used by the rebels in their operation in the said province. It was gathered that the discovery of the storage ravine was made possible through the information given by local residents. After verification, the “tip” proved to be positive when authorities conducted the operation on Saturday. However, this information was only released to the media Wednesday. (Madelynne Dominguez)
Review of bilateral agreements urged
LA TRINIDAD, Benguet — A legislator wants the concerned national government agencies and the House of Representatives to review all the bilateral trade agreements entered into by the previous administrations with other developed countries so that appropriate safety nets will be introduced for the protection of thousands of vegetable farmers from the different parts of the province. Benguet Rep. Ronald M. Cosalan, a senior member of the Liberal Party, said agriculture stakeholders from the different parts of the country have been questioning the wisdom of the numerous bilateral agreements entered by the Arroyo administration with other countries, citing that local farmers have already felt the serious negative impact of the influx of imported and smuggled agricultural crops in the country over the past several years. According to Cosalan, the implementation of the bilateral agreements, which is part of the full implementation of the General Agreement on Tariff and Trade–World Trade Organization (GATT-WTO). (Dexter See)

