Luzon Newsbits

Cavite police chiefs shuffled

July 31, 2010, 6:26pm

IMUS, Cavite – The Cavite Police Provincial Office (PPO) has reshuffled some chiefs of police (CoPs) in a bid to further improve the peace and order situation and services in some cities and towns of this province. Senior Superintendent Danilo L. Maligalig, PPO director, made the move as he ordered his officers and men to get rid of drugs, loose firearms, illegal gambling, and the other crime activities in the province. In his order, Maligalig likewise warned erring police officers and men, particularly those involved in alleged protection activities. Maligalig announced the replacement of two city CoPs in simple turnover ceremonies last Friday at their respective police stations. Reassigned to Cavite City police station was Supt. Danilo B. Buentipo, CoP of Trece Martires City, in lieu of Supt. Simnar Gran. Supt. Reynaldo Galam, chief of CPPO Investigation and Detection Management Division (S-7), was reassigned to Trece Martires, taking the position of Buentipo. Maligalig has relieved at least seven CoPs in the province since his assumption as police director last June 19. (Anthony Giron)

Dengue cases alarm Region 1

SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union – Health authorities in Region 1 sounded the alarm against dengue over the weekend as more cases piled up, pushing the death toll up to 16 this year. Records from the Department of Health (DoH) Region 1’s Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU), dengue deaths from January to July this year totaled eight in Ilocos Sur; six in Ilocos Norte; and two in Pangasinan. Meanwhile, the recorded total of dengue cases in the region for the same period is 746 with 226 cases in Ilocos Norte; 190 in La Union; 167 in Pangasinan; and 163 in Ilocos Sur. Health authorities warned that the numbers are bound to rise as the rainy season peaks. Meanwhile in Baguio City, seven out of 128 barangays have been placed under the so-called dengue fever watch list due to the presence of clustered dengue fever cases in their areas. Baguio’s City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) identified the barangays under the watch list as Asin, Trancoville, Middle Rock Quarry, Trancoville, Atok Trail, Irisan and Camp 7. From January to the present, dengue fever cases increased by over 60 percent as the city registered 269 cases compared to the 160 cases for the same period last year. (Freddie G. Lazaro and Dexter A. See)

‘Ka Joker’ falls

ABUCAY, Bataan – A ranking member of the New People’s Army (NPA) who is wanted for murder and burning of a bus was arrested the other day by joint police and military forces in Barangay Salian, this town. Senior Superintendent Arnold D. Gunnacao, Bataan police director, said that Johnny Caragay, alias “Ka Joker”, was arrested based on the warrant issued by Judge Manuel Tan of Regional Trial Court Branch 2 in Balanga City, after he was implicated in the murder of Sergeant Marcial Francisco of the 24th Infantry Battalion based in Camp Camacho. “Investigation conducted revealed that Caragay was among the rebels who were responsible also for the burning of Bataan Transit Bus last November 10, 2005 at Sitio Pinagpatayan, Calaylayan, this town,” said Gunnacao. He said Caragay was the squad leader of the NPA’s Teresera SP Pampanga and Bataan Command and listed No. 36 among the most wanted persons in Central Luzon. (Mar T. Supnad)