Luzon Newsbits

Youth urged to register

August 14, 2010, 6:24pm

ANGELES CITY – The Kabataan Partylist-Central Luzon and Angeles City SK Federation on Saturday called on the youth to take advantage of the remaining days to register for the upcoming Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) and Barangay elections. The Commission on Elections (Comelec) only has until 7 p.m. Sunday to accommodate new SK voters. The deadline of registration for barangay voters was last Friday. The youth groups appealed to unregistered first-time voters to take advantage of the last registration day so that they could participate in the elections set in October. (Franco G. Regala)

2 drug suspects fall in Marilao

CAMP GEN. ALEJO SANTOS, Bulacan – Two more suspected drug pushers were arrested the other day as the intensified drive against illegal drugs in this province continues. Senior Superintendent Fernando S. Villanueva, Bulacan police director, said the two newly-arrested drug suspects were Alvin Ameril, 31, married, and Nasrudin Namla, 26, both natives of Maguindanao and temporarily residing in Ismael Village, Barangay Sta. Rosa 1, Marilao. Villanueva reported to Chief Supt. Allan LM Purisima, Police Regional Office 3 director, that the suspects yielded a total of seven plastic sachets of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride or “shabu” which weighed 26.4 grams and carried a street value of P220,000. The police team also recovered an improvised water pipe, digital weighing machine, aluminum foil, and a .45-caliber pistol loaded with seven bullets. (Freddie C. Velez)

Boat strafed in Laguna Lake

BINANGONAN Rizal – Unidentified gunmen strafed a fishing boat, killing a 37-year-old father and wounding his two young sons in Laguna Lake Saturday. The Rizal Police Provincial Office (PPO) reported the death of Ely Bolante, 37, a fisherman from Barangay Sapang 1, here. Bolante’s sons – Valintin and Cinon – were wounded in the attack around 7 a.m. The boys told police that as soon as the gunmen fired at their boat, they jumped into the water and avoided getting hit. Police are conducting a deeper investigation into the motive of the attack. (Madelynne Dominguez)

Rizal prepares dads and moms for disasters

RIZAL PROVINCE – The provincial government is transforming the parents of students in public schools here into “super moms” and “super dads” as they undergo training on disaster management preparedness as part of the risk reduction measures in case disasters such as the great flood from tropical storm “Ondoy” last year. This came as Rizal Governor Casimiro “Jun” Ynares, III, and the provincial council agreed on having a venue and other logistical support for the first-ever workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction Management for some 322 officers of the Federation of Parents-Teachers Association (FPTA) in the province. FPTA President Anthony Mateo said the workshop, to be held from August 17 to September 6, will be administered by the Oxfam GB, an international non-government organization which was one of the first groups to respond to disaster victims right after the onslaught of storm Ondoy in the province. (Nel B. Andrade)