Luzon Newsbits
Cavite launches anti-crime drive
Major activities for the 16th National Crime Prevention Week in Cavite reeled off Wednesday with a motorcycle caravan that went around Bacoor and Imus towns to drumbeat the occasion.
Senior Supt. Danilo L. Maligalig, CPPO director, and other police officials lead the caravan that started at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Cavite Police Provincial Office (CPPO) grounds at Camp General Pantaleon Garcia in Barangay Poblacion IV-A, Imus.
Over a hundred motorcycle riders from different motorcycle groups participated in the caravan. In a message prior to the caravan, Maligalig cited the importance of the occasion and the role of the police and community in preventing crimes.
“Crime prevention will only be effective and successful with the wholehearted support and performance of everyone, particularly the community,” Maligalig said. The Philippine National Police (PNP) is observing the Crime Prevention Week with the theme “Komunidad at Pulisya, Magkasama Tungo sa Pag-unlad ng Bayan.”
In an interview, Maligalig said that aside from the motorcycle caravan, there will be crime prevention seminars that will be held during the week in the province’s police stations. With the event, Maligalig ordered a renewed and intensified anti-criminality drive and the implementation of crime preventive measures in Cavite. (Anthony Giron)
9 HURT IN ISABELA ROAD ACCIDENT
CAUAYAN CITY — Nine persons were hurt after a 10-wheeler truck accidentally rammed into a row of eleven vehicles parked along the national highway in front of a public market in Ilagan, Isabela Tuesday.
Supt. Baltazar Israel, Ilagan chief of police, said the incident happened at about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Aside from the 11 vehicles, the truck also rammed into two fried chicken stalls and a streetlight post. Of the nine injured victims, Israel said that one of them was seriously hurt and was identified as Lilia Pangilinan.
Pangilinan, who suffered injuries on her face and legs, remains under observation at the Isabela Doctors General Hospital, while the other victims had already been sent home after being treated.
Meanwhile, Eliezer Acson, the truck driver and resident of Calinaoan village in Santo Tomas town, admitted that he failed to control the truck after its brakes malfunctioned. Acson said that the truck was bound to Cauayan City to deliver yellow corn. Police said Acson will be charged for reckless imprudence resulting in multiple physical injuries. (Freddie Lazaro)
CALABARZON S.W.A.T. TRAINING ORDERED
CAMP GEN. VICENTE LIM, Laguna — Police Regional Office 4A (PRO 4A) director Chief Supt. Nicanor Bartolome ordered the training and re-training of Special Weapons and Tactic (SWAT) personnel in the CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) Region.
In a press conference Wednesday, Bartolome said they must first inventory all the personnel that have been trained in crisis situation and another inventory for all the equipment to determine the needed supplies. He said they are pushing for the establishment of a SWAT team per province, one for major cities, and Class A municipalities.
PRO 4A police have already started to train negotiators and now selecting qualified negotiators. “They will undergo neuro-psychiatric evaluation because a negotiator is a different breed of personnel, believed that pressures and stress should be properly addressed by a negotiator,” Bartolome explained. (Ferdinand Castro)

