Visayas Newsbits

Region 8 Salt Shipments Monitored

September 15, 2010, 8:29pm

TACLOBAN CITY — Household salt being shipped to Eastern Visayas region may not contain the required iodine content as set by the Food and Drug Administration. This was the focus of concern in a meeting held last week by the Regional Bantay Asin Task Force (BATF) composed of the Bureau of Food and Drugs, the Department of Health, the Department of Interior and Local Governments, the Philippine National Police, the Philippnie Ports Authority, the National Nutrition Council, and media. The group is led by Teofreda Goyone of the Food and Drug Administration. Also attending was Edward P. Otico of the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), who flew in from Manila for the meeting. NNC Regional Director Carina Z. Santiago said Region VIII has very high, or as much as 97 percent, utilization of iodized salt by households based on the 2008 National Nutrition Survey (NNS). This means, she said, that almost all the salt in the local markets and stores are iodized.  Based on the same survey, however, it was learned that the iodine status of children and pregnant/lactating women in the region is still below optimum. This may be because of low amount of iodine in household salt, which is 7.9ppm as against the target of 15ppm, and it may also be that the salt being shipped to the region is below 20ppm levels. (Jack C. Gadaingan)

SOLONS PUSH P1.4B INFRASTRUCTURE SHARE

CEBU CITY  (PNA) — At least three Cebuano congressmen are pushing for the inclusion of some P1.4 billion for infrastructure projects in their respective districts in the national budget for 2011. Rep. Benhur Salimbangon (Cebu, 4th district) said he submitted a proposed budget of P480 million, mostly for road concreting, construction of bridges and other infrastructure in the fourth district. ”We need to be ready at all times because if a congressman does not submit proposed projects, we will only have to rely on the P70 million per year allocated for the PDAF (Priority Development Assistance Fund),” Salimbangon said. The House committee on appropriations began conducting hearings last week to examine Malacañang’s proposed 2011 budget. Salimbangon said in his district, P30 million of the P70-million PDAF, more popularly known as the “pork barrel”, goes to “soft” programs like hospitalization, burial assistance and scholarships. The remaining P30 million goes to infrastructure projects.

NORECO2 HEARING SET SEPTEMBER 24
 
DUMAGUETE CITY (PNA) — Everything is set for the September 24 public hearing for all member consumers of Negros Oriental Electric Cooperative to be held at the Negros Oriental Convention Center in Dumaguete City. Cresente Paez of the National Confederation of Cooperatives said they expect to have at least eight representatives under the House Committee on Cooperatives who committed to attend the public hearing. The hearing will discuss two issues, that is, the alleged abuse of authority and irregularities reportedly happening in current NORECO 2 administration. The abuse of authority issue will be addressed to members of the Board of Directors of NORECO 2 and Administrator Fulgencio Vigari of the Cooperative Development Authority for alleged failure to hold an election and extension of terms of the board of directors. Rep. Jose Ping-ay, Chairman of the House Committee on Cooperatives, is expected to preside over the public hearing. He said Negros Oriental solons, Rep. George Arnaiz and Rep. Henry Pryde Teves will also participate in the hearing. He added the public hearing is being held in aid of legislation since the alleged irregularities issue is also being raised in other cooperatives in the country. Paez said at least 180 cooperatives will benefit if the public hearing is successful.