Luzon Newsbits
Abra on Poll Watchlist
BAGUIO CITY — There has not been any sign of political violence brewing in this province over the past several months but the Philippine National Police (PNP) is not taking chances and recommended that Abra be placed under the election watch list for the upcoming barangay and Sanguniang Kabataan polls.
Director-General Raul Bacalzo, PNP Chief, said the prevailing peaceful situation in the province may just be temporary.
Bacalzo said it is important that the PNP is in control of peace and order in this province because some politicians may use private armies to take advantage of the situation and neutralize their rivals.
Abra, which has 27 towns and a total of 313 barangays, has a long tradition of intense political rivalry that, at times, breaks into violence. (Dexter A. See)
5.6 Quake Rocks Batanes, N. Luzon
SINAIT, Ilocos Sur — A magnitude 5.6 earthquake rocked Batanes province and other Northern Luzon provinces last Thursday afternoon, state seismologists reported.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said moderate earthquake was tectonic in origin and struck at 5 p.m.
Its epicenter was located at 91 km southwest of Basco town. The tremor was felt at Intensity 3 in Basco, Batanes; Calayan Island, Cagayan; Aparri, Cagayan; and Camalaniugan in Cagayan.
The Phivolcs said there had been no reports of casualties or damage but warned on the possible occurrence of aftershocks. (Freddie G.Lazaro)
Subic Tourism Holds Promise
SUBIC BAY FREEPORT — While low-cost manufacturing initially fueled the growth of this former military base in the early ’90s, the emergent tourism industry here is expected to pull off “the next economic miracle” for Subic Bay.
With this prospect, Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) administrator Armand Arreza urged leaders of the local tourism industry and communities around the free port to “introduce and instill the culture of tourism down to the grassroots level.”
“We would like to see every person in the community giving his share at drawing tourists in his own little ways, in line with the policies drawn by leaders of this industry,” said Arreza.
“We need to instill this culture of tourism down to the community level, because in the end the benefits derived from a robust tourism industry should reach the host communities,” he explained. Arreza made the call during a recent tourism forum at the International School of Sustainable Tourism (ISST) campus here.
The forum was graced by Flor Marcelino, a Filipino-Canadian who is now Canada’s minister for tourism, heritage and culture, and Canadian ambassador to the Philippines Christopher Thornley. (Franco G. Regala)
Wanted No More
CAMP SANTOS, Bulacan — A man long wanted for murder was arrested recently after five years of hiding from lawmen, police reported Friday.
Senior Supt. Fernando S. Villanueva, Bulacan police director, said police operatives on Sunday captured the No.1 most wanted person in the municipality of Bustos during a manhunt operation that started at upper town of Angat which ended in Barangay Sulipan, Apalit , Pampanga. Chief Insp.
Arwin Tadeo Jr., Angat police chief, identified the arrested person as Frederick Clarin, alias “Dekdek”, 31, married, of Barangay Poblacion, Bustos this province. Villanueva said Clarin is wanted for a murder with a reward of P90,000 for his arrest. (Freddie C. Velez)

