Visayas Newsbits

130 Cebu Brgy. Chiefs Can't Run

October 16, 2010, 7:43pm

CEBU CITY – At least 130 incumbent barangay chairmen in Cebu City and Cebu Province are no longer qualified to run for reelection in the coming barangay elections, the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) 7 said Saturday. DILG 7 Legal Officer Danilo Almendras said these 130 incumbent barangay captains have already been serving their constituents for three terms, and thus could no longer run for reelection. “I urge the public to immediately report to us should they notice their incumbent barangay captains in his third term but still filed his certificate of candidacy,” Almendras said. He said the names of these barangay captains will be published Sunday on the website of the DILG for the public notice. As this developed, ten voters who had registered in barangay Ibo, Lapu-Lapu City have been barred from voting for lack of residency. (Mars W. Mosqueda Jr.)

STUDENTS NABBED FOR HAZING 

ILOILO CITY (PNA)- Police authorities rounded up 52 students recently in Barangay Granada, Bacolod City for the violation of the Anti-Hazing Law. Of the total, 12 were girls, 40 were boys and 12 others minors, mostly high school students from different Bacolod City schools. The students are said to be members of the Gamma O’micron Delta Sigma or GODS Fraternity, led by their master initiator Juanico Disierto of Barangay Mabini, Escalante City, Negros Occidental. Chief Insp. Ulysis Ortiz, Bacolod City Police Station 5 head, said they responded to information that two public utility jeepneys (PUJs), full with passengers mostly students were on their way to Barangay Granada reportedly to conduct the banned activity. They immediately proceeded to the area and caught up with the suspects at Hda. Sto. Nino in Barangay Granada while in the act of preparation for an initiation rites. A hardwood paddle bat was recovered from the group. The students were placed under custody of Police Station 5, with only their parents to see and fetch them from police custody. Ortiz has advised parents to monitor their children’s activities and to talk to them so that they could be enlightened and properly guided.

REBEL RETURNEE REWARDED
 
Guihulngan, Neg. Oriental - A former member and revolutionary tax collector, Diosdado Bornia Cubol, of the New People’s Army (NPA), Diosdado Bornia Cubol of Brgy. Trinidad, Guihulngan, Negros Oriental, who has been reintegrated into the social mainstream received from the 11th Infantry Battalion of the Philippine Army an additional P2,000 from the Office of Presidential Adviser on Peace Process (OPAPP). Earlier, Cubol had already received P 70, 000.00 from the SIP. The amount is made up of P20,00P for his surrender, P50, 000.00 for his livelihood and the remaining P2,000.00 was for turning over one locally made caliber 357 revolver (locally made). Such assistance is part of the government’s Social Integration Program (SIP), through the Office of Deputy Chief of Staff for Civil Military Operations. First Lieutenant Sherwin Lagasca, Headquarters Commandant of the PA’s 11th IB handed the reward/financial assistance to Cubol, during simple ceremonies at the 11th IB headquarters in Brgy. McKinley, Guihulngan, Negros Oriental. (Edith B. Colmo)

Comments