Visayas Newsbits
P3 M eyed in product showcase
KALIBO, Aklan, Philippines (PNA) – The provincial government of Aklan is looking at some P3 million in revenue from its 8th Product Showcase now ongoing in SM City, Iloilo from Nov. 15 to 21. Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)-Aklan Provincial Director, Diosdado Cadena said the amount of sales being targeted in this year’s event is some P3 million. Last year’s sale, including orders from bulk buyers, was around P2.87 million, he added. According to the DTI Provincial Director, at least 31 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) have signed up for this year’s Showcase. Cadena said the Aklan Product Showcase has been boosting the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in the province, as well as providing employment to communities. He added that the DTI continues to find buyers and potential investors for Aklan products since the annual showcase started in 2002. Aklan Provincial Planning and Development Officer, Engineer Roger Esto who represented Aklan Governor Carlito Marquez at the Showcase opening ceremonies last Monday said the yearly activity has also been a venue for promoting indigenous materials and local talents.
MOBILE PASSPORT BY 2011
ILOILO CITY, Philippines (PNA) – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is pushing through its mobile passporting program by early 2011 when they would have already received their needed equipment. DFA Regional Dir. Sarah Salcedo said that they have already received several requests from the local government units here to conduct mobile passporting services but that they were not able to do it this year because of their lack of computer laptops for the issuance of electronic passports. “We do not have a machine to do it now,” Dir. Salcedo contended. Dir. Salcedo said implementing the mobile passport service could be very helpful to passport applicants as they no longer have to go to the DFA regional office to apply for their passports because this time, DFA personnel would be the ones going to them for their passport requirements. He said applicants could, naturally, save time and money in going to the DFA regional office based in Iloilo city.
TOURISM SECURITY BEEFED UP
DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines (PNA) – Philippine National Police (PNP) in Negros Oriental province increased its visibility and strengthened its anti-criminality efforts to boost the tourism industry here amid some countries' advisories against travel because of terror attacks in the Philippines. The PNP did so even if Police Director Sr. Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas has observed that such travel advisories seem to barely affect the local tourism industry. The country’s holiday destination spots, such as Bohol, Cebu and Boracay are posting high numbers of tourist arrivals despite travel advisories against the country issued by at least six foreign countries. In line with national government's safety efforts, however, Negros Oriental policemen has enforced security measures to ensure that residents and tourists alike are protected, Lawas said. He said police in the province have established linkages with the public to help monitor arrival and movement of suspicious-looking individuals and groups in Dumaguete City and other parts of Negros Oriental. Lawas noted that the PNP could not discount the possibility that Dumaguete City might be used as a transit point for terrorists like the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), considering the province's proximity to Mindanao. (PNA)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.