Luzon Newsbits

Rizal to host resettlement

November 26, 2010, 5:38pm

RODRIGUEZ, Rizal, Philippines — Informal settlers whose shanties in North Triangle, Quezon City had been demolished will be resettled in Rodriguez, Rizal. This was the assurance given Friday by Rodriguez Vice Mayor Jonas Cruz.

Cruz said that Rodriguez Mayor Cecilio Hernandez and Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista are already threshing out the process in transferring the informal settlers to newly-built housing units in Rodriguez complete with electricity, water and availability of healthcare and education opportunities. (Madelynne Dominguez)

P.M.S.E.A. PLANTS TREES IN BAGUIO

BAGUIO, Philippines – The Philippine Mine Safety and Environment Association (PMSEA) and the city government of Baguio held a tree-planting ceremony at the Botanical Garden during the recent 57th Annual National Mine Safety and Environment Conference (ANMSEC).

The ceremony, led by PMSEA President Louie Sarmiento and Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan, signaled the beginning of the five-year rehabilitation of a 1,000-square-meter area within the tourist spot which the PMSEA adopted for the “Urban Tree Planting, Landscaping, and Maintenance” starting this month.

2 GOVS APPEAL FOR HIGHWAY

PALAUIG, Zambales, Philippines — Governor Hermogenes Ebdane Jr. announced Friday that the long-delayed road project to link the provinces of Zambales and Tarlac may soon be completed with the “blessing” of President Benigno S. Aquino III.

Ebdane, who met with Tarlac Gov. Victor Yap last Wednesday, said the two provincial executives have agreed to request Aquino to prioritize the highway project in order to usher in faster development in the two neighboring provinces, as well as Central Luzon.

“It would undoubtedly be to President Noynoy’s credit if the project is completed under his term, since the Zambales-Tarlac road project has been considered as early as 1901,” said Ebdane. (Jonas Reyes)

BATAAN LAUNCHES PAWIKAN FESTIVAL

MORONG, Bataan, Philippines — The Bataan Tourism Council Foundation, Inc., headed by Mrs. Vicky S. Garcia, announced Friday that all systems are a go for the two-day “Pawikan Festival (Festival of Marine Turtles)” slated November 28 and 29. Garcia said various programs aimed at titillating visitors at the Pawikan Conservation Center in Barangay Nagbalayong, this town, have been lined up, including the releasing of pawikan hatchlings at the beachfront.

Among the expected guests are Govenor Enrique “Tet” Garcia, Isagani Serrano, president of the Philippine Rural Reconstruction Movement and other top government officials. (Mar T. Supnad)

PAGDILAO BEARS DOWN ON 2 COPS

CAMP GEN. LIM, Laguna, Philippines — Chief Superintendent Samuel Pagdilao Jr., Police Regional Office 4-A director, ordered Friday the immediate filing of criminal and administrative charges against two policemen of Rizal Police Provincial Office (PPO) for alleged involved in the abduction and stabbing of a 22-year-old pregnant woman who is testifying in a robbery-extortion case against the suspects in Cainta, Rizal.

Pagdilao ordered the filing of grave misconduct resulting to abduction and frustrated murder against Police Officer 2 Mario A. Natividad and PO1 Antenor M. Mariquit.

He also ordered a region-wide manhunt operation against their civilian cohort alias “Toto”. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

Comments