Visayas Newsbits
PDEA bares CV report
CEBU CITY, Philippines – The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) 7 Tuesday said there are at least 3,000 drug personalities – financiers, pushers, drug lords – in Central Visayas area who are now the target of the its intensified campaign against illegal drugs.
But PDEA 7 Director Adrian Albariño said arresting one drug personality in a day will take them more than 10 years to arrest all of the drug personalities in the region, prompting him to call for cooperation from other law enforcement agencies and the general public.
Albariño, who was guest at recent 888 News Forum at the Marco Polo Plaza Hotel here said cooperation of the public plays a vital role in the success against the illegal drug trade as he stressed that there are communities in the region that even support the operation of drug traders.
He cited several cases wherein drug enforcement agents were stoned by neighbors of drug lords, or padlocked inside drug dens, and even blocked by a group of individuals supporting the operation of the illegal drug trader. (Mars W. Mosqueda, Jr.)
CENTCOM MARKS NINTH ANNIVERSARY
CAMP LAPU-LAPU, Cebu City, Philippines – As part of its ninth founding anniversary celebration, the Central Command (Centcom) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines held a demilitarization activity during which time some 127 low powered and high powered firearms were destroyed.
The said firearms were captured, confiscated, surrendered, and recovered (CCSR) during the commands’ operation, and were smashed to bits at the Centcom’s Auditorium.
Demilitarization is the destruction of firearms by “cutting” using a circular saw, whereby all firearms parts are rendered ineffective for use as a component or a complete firearm.
Aside from the demilitarization, the command has also lined-up other activities for the said event that include an awarding ceremony and wreath lying to remember and honor the significant contribution of its members.
Annually, the command gives recognitions to organic personnel and civilian employees who have shown exemplary performance in their respective offices and assignments.
In addition, the command will also be giving recognition to non-government and corporate organizations that had been instrumental in implementing the command’s various projects all through out the year. (Phoebe Jen Indino)
MAYOR’S SUSPENSION DENIED
Bac olod City, Philippines – Due to lack of palpable merit, the cases filed by outgoing Barangay Capt Peregrino Aspan of Brgy. Felisa, Bacolod City against Mayor Evelio Leonardia and other city officials have been dismissed.
Aside from Leonardia, other respondents were former City Legal officer Allan Zamora (deceased), former assistant city legal officer Vicente Petierre III; former Bacolod City Police Director Police Sr. Supt. Ronilo Quebrar; former Deputy for Operations, Bacolod City Police Office Pol Supt Leo Erwin Agpangan; PO1 Troy Fegidero, PO2 Rene Sibala, Dante Medecielo, Jose Guillermo, Jessie Chavez, Christopher Tajanlangit, Taba Geolingo of the City Legal Uniformed Law Enforcement Unit, and 143 John Does.
The cases filed against them were grave coercion; malicious mischief; and violation of Article 131 or the prohibition, interruption of peaceful meeting and misconduct, all under the Revised Penal Code.
These cases were dismissed by the Visayas Ombudsman, and the prayer for their preventive suspension was also denied. (Edith B. Colmo)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.