Luzon Newsbits
Strict limit for Kennon urged
TUBA, Benguet, Philippines — The Cordillera Administrative Region office of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH-CAR) wants law enforcers to strictly implement the 10-ton load limit for motor vehicles plying the 34-kilometer stretch of Kennon Road to prevent further damage to the bridges and several critical roads.
Engineer Edilberto Carabbacan, DPWH-CAR director, admitted that Kennon Road is fragile considering that there are many areas which are still being repaired that could be damaged if they carry too much load from trucks travelling along the various portions of the road en route to their respective points of destination.
Since Kennon Road was heavily damaged by the July 16, 1990 killer earthquake, DPWH imposed a 10-ton load limit along the whole stretch of the road, except those given exemptions by the agency specifically those involved in sand and gravel hauling in the area, and the same has never been lifted since then.
However, several overloaded cargo trucks going to and coming from Baguio City and different parts of Benguet are still allowed to pass through the scenic zigzag road since it is the shortest route from the lowlands to the city and vice versa. (Dexter See)
WARNING VS 33 CROCODILES UP
CAUAYAN CITY, Isabela, Philippines — Local officials and residents here raised concern over the serious threat to their safety posed by the 33 crocodiles that were able to get free from their rearing station in the coastal town of Divilacan at the height of super typhoon “Juan” which wrecked havoc in Northern Luzon last month.
The said crocodiles that are now considered to be at large are now allegedly in various river systems in the different parts of the province thereby posing a serious threat to the safety of people going to swim or work in the river systems.
From a total of 50 crocodiles being taken cared by the Buwaya Foundation in the coastal town of Divilacan, the said number dropped to 17 after the onslaught of super typhoon “Juan” which resulted in the overflowing of the rearing station thereby carrying with the waters most of the crocodiles.
At the same time, concerned residents also aired their concern over the safety of their animals because there was an incident when a lose crocodile ate a dog which was simply drinking in one of the rivers in the coastal areas of the province. (Dexter See)
2 MEN RESCUED OFF CAGAYAN
STA. ANA, Cagayan, Philippines — Two fishermen, who were reportedly missing after they went fishing on December 9, were rescued by the local residents in the coastal village of Patunungan, this town, on Saturday afternoon.
Senior Insp. Salvador Rivera, Sta. Ana town police chief, identified the rescued fishermen as Randel Corpuz and Christopher Rosete, both residents of Barangay Palawig, here.
Rivera said the victims left their home on December 9 and went fishing along the shorelines of Sitio Sinago, Barangay Patunungan, this town. While fishing, the victims’ boat was damaged and swept by the sudden big sea waves.
The victims reportedly used the debris of their destroyed boat while swimming towards the shore but they were noticed and rescued by their fellow fishermen.
Upon their rescue, Rivera said the victims were immediately brought to a hospital for treatment. As this developed, Rivera warned fishermen in the town’s coastal areas not to venture into the sea at this time due to the occurrence of sudden change in weather conditions. (Freddie Lazaro)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.