Luzon Newsbits
Pangasinan mulls liquor ban, curfew for 'motorbikes'
LINGAYEN, Pangasinan, Philippines — The Provincial Board invited officials of the Police Provincial Office (PPO) recently to discuss whether or not a resolution for the banning of liquor and the imposition of a curfew for motorcycle riders would deter so-called riding-in-tandem crimes in the province.
In their discussion with Superintendent Rosueto Ricaforte, PPO director, Board Members were informed that between September 8 and December 8 this year, there had been 23 recorded shooting cases involving gunmen riding-in-tandem on a motorcycle.
Ricaforte noted that many, if not most, of those involved in these shootings had been under the influence of alcohol.
Pangasinan 6th District Board Member Alfonso Bince said such information is vital for the Provincial Board to decide how to craft a law for the province that will ban liquor and impose a curfew on motorcycle riders. (Lizle Basa Iñigo)
C.A.R. CITED FOR BEST R.L.E.E.C.
CAMP DANGWA, La Trinidad, Benguet, Philippines — The Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) has been adjudged to have the best Regional Law Enforcement Coordinating Council (RLEEC) in the country.
Besting 16 other regions for the coveted award, the CAR-RLEEC was cited for boosting its efforts to make the region a peaceful place despite the existence of several stumbling blocks.
The RLECC, as a coordinating mechanism for all government agencies and local governments, has the role of formulating law enforcement policies, providing additional inputs and recommendations, and enabling the passage of important legislation for peace and order, economy and environment that affect not only the region but the entire country. (Dexter A. See)
5 PENELCO-LIMAY INTRUDERS HUNTED
LIMAY, Bataan — Police are hot on the trail on five suspected robbers who held up the office of the Peninsula Electric Cooperative (Penelco) in Barangay Townsite, here, recently.
Senior Superintendent Arnold D. Gunnacao, Bataan police director, said intelligence operatives are already establishing the identities and whereabouts of the five gunmen who mulcted more than P100,000 worth of cash and personal valuables from four Penelco employees at 2:20 p.m. last Friday.
Local police officials also advised the Penelco to employ enough security guards to protect the office and its employees. (Mar T. Supnad)
2 FUGITIVES FALL AFTER 4 YEARS
STA. ROSA CITY, Laguna, Philippines — After more than four years of hiding, two men wanted for killing a 22-year-old man were arrested by police in Barangay Balibago, here, Monday morning.
Senior Police Officer 1 Rodolfo Parungca of the Sta. Rosa City Police Office identified the suspects as Alberto Cleofe, 36, a tricycle driver and resident of Purok 6, F. Reyes St., Barangay Balibago, and Michael Nerveza, jobless and a resident of Calamba City.
Parungca, along with warrant officer SPO1 Reynaldo Panganiban, first arrested Cleofe at the Meridian Compound in Barangay Balibago around 8:30 a.m. then collared Nerveza in Barangay Parian, Calamba City two hours later.
Their arrest was covered by a warrant issued by Judge Marino Rubia of the Binan Regional Trial Court Branch 24 which handles the murder case of Francisco Luna, alias “Toto,” who was stabbed dead while sleeping in his nipa hut in Barangay Balibago on Feb. 22, 2006. (Ferdinand F. Castro)
DPWH TOLD TO COMPLETE NORTHERN BRIDGES
BONTOC, Mountain Province December 13 – After being forgotten over the past two decades, provincial officials and residents of this landlocked province want the national government to finally complete the long overdue bridge linking Mountain province and Ilocos Sur, particularly the Aluling bridge located at Cervantes, Ilocos Sur, in order to improve the accessibility to the Ilocos and Cordillera regions once the multi-billion road projects along the roadline will be completed.
The rehabilitation of the Mountain Province – Ilocos Sur road and the Benguet – Ilocos Sur road is underway while the Cervantes – Tagudin road is already concreted thereby ensuring smooth flow of traffic once construction works are completed in the future. (Dexter See)
CORDILLERA FOLK WARNED ON FAKE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS
BAGUIO CITY – With the mad rush for Christmas decorations and lights for their respective homes in celebration of the Christmas and New Year, the Cordillera office of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) here warned the public against the proliferation of fake Christmas lights so that they would not put the lives of their loved ones in danger.
The DTI-CAR urged the public to look for the ICC stickers with a serial number in buying Christmas lights to make ensure safety and quality.
The DTI noted that most defective Christmas lights which have no ICC certifications are being sold by sidewalk vendors. (Dexter See)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.