Visayas Newsbits

Bacolod mayor asked to stop power hike

December 18, 2010, 6:20pm

BACOLOD CITY – Members of the Sanggunian Panlungsod of Bacolod City has approved a resolution authored by Councilor Ceasar Distrito urging Mayor Evelio Leonardia to stop the Central Negros Electric Cooperative (CENECO) from imposing an increase in power rates in the city.

The resolution is asking the Bacolod mayor to tap all possible legal means to stop the rate increase proposed by CENECO effective March 2011, particularly when power rates estimated to cost 50 percent more than current rates are imposed, in turn, by Korea Electric Power Co. (KEPCO).

CENECO’s power rate hike is effective on December 25, 2010 when it stops sourcing power from the National Power Corporation (NAPOCOR). CENECO has entered into a contract with the Korean Electric Power Co. (KEPCO), private power producer and reports have it that the power rates to be charged by CENECO-KEPCO will be 50 percent higher than current rates. and starts to get the same from the Leyte Power Plant, which is a private power producer.

New rates to be charged by CENECO will go up by 36 centavos per kwh a day after Christmas and by about 91 centavos in March when CENECO’s contract for coal-fired power from KEPCO in Cebu City begins, for a total increase of P1.27 per kWh. (Edith B. Colmo)

Capiz plagued with unrest
ILOILO CITY- The New People’s Army (NPA) has reportedly looted an inland resort in Capiz province. According to 1Lt. Mark Andrew Posadas, spokesman of the Philippine Army’s 3rd Infantry Division (3ID), the Marugo Mountain Resort in San Antonio village of Tapaz town was attacked by approximately 20 communists rebels belonging to the Central Front Committee late Tuesday afternoon last week.

Led by Francisco Balois (a.k.a. “Tonying”), the rebels forcibly took several weapons including an M16 rifle, a Garand rifle, a hand grenade, and the 9mm pistol of SPO2 Sedro Garbosa of Tapaz PNP.

Garbosa was having a drinking spree when the armed rebels stormed the resort. Initially, Garbosa thought the rebels were members of the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (CAFGU) as they were all wearing camouflage uniforms.

“But then, we were held at gunpoint and they threatened to shoot,” Garbosa said.Also taken from the resort were toiletries and food supply from the kitchen’s pantry. Posadas said the NPA attacked the resort after owner Roberto “Nonong” Palomar refused to pay revolutionary taxes.

Meanwhile, the Army in Panay and Negros is bracing for more NPA-initiated attacks despite the start of the 18-day ceasefire. (Tara Yap)

Cebu's 2011 P3.09B budget passed
CEBU CITY (PNA) – The Cebu Provincial Board (PB) has passed the city government’s proposed 2011 P3.09-billion budget ordinance, after a judge denied Cebu Vice Governopr Gregorio Sanchez, Jr.’s petition for a restraining order against its passage.

Before the PB approved the budget on its second and third readings, Sanchez had asked PB member Agnes Magpale to preside, saying he has some visitors to attend to.

”I just don’t want to be a part of what they’re doing so all of them will be happy, because if I will continue, so many things could happen,” Sanchez said. Regional Trial Court Branch 18 Judge Gilbert Moises said Sanchez failed to prove that Capitol officials violated the law and “deprived him of a clear and legal right,” so there was no need for a temporary restraining order.

Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia welcomed the court’s decision, saying had a restraining order delayed the passage of the budget, the province would have to operate under a reenacted 2010 budget next year.

”I’m really very happy for our Capitol employees, because with very few exceptions, we have seen the transformation of our capitol employees into sincere, dedicated public servants,” she said.

Under a reenacted budget, she said, the employees will not be able to get the salary increase they deserve and casual workers will have no job security.

Comments