Visayas Newsbits

Iloilo to hold 1st environment summit

January 4, 2011, 3:44pm

ILOILO CITY, Philippines (PNA) – Some 130 participants from public and private sector are expected to gather here on Friday for the first Environmental Summit which will be hosted by the city government.

Said Summit is also being supported by the Local Environmental Awareness Protection Philippines (LEAP) and the Foundation for Philippine Environment.

City councilor David Jamora, whose office is spearheading the holding of the Summit, said environment stakeholders are expected to give their inputs in the formulation of a three-year short-term and 10-year long-term environmental framework plans for the city government.

“This activity is aimed at increasing the environmental awareness of the public, especially the people of this city,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog, in supporting the event, has called on the participation in the Summit by all barangay leaders in the city. The gathering of environmental advocates will be held at the Sarabia Manor and Convention Center here.

D.O.H. 7 POSTS 41 YEAR-END INJURIES

CEBU CITY, Philippines – The Department of Health (DoH) in Region 7 has posted five more firecracker-related injuries this year, putting the total of such cases to 41 happening from Dec. 24 to January 3.

But despite the additional case, the total number is still lower compared to last year when the DoH7 Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU) recorded 57 firecracker-related injuries.

Of said additional cases, three occurred in Mandaue City and one each in Liloan and Consolacion towns. Last year, RESU was able to document 57 injuries from nine hospitals in the region. Of the 57, 46 involved people from Cebu, five in Bohol and six in Negros Oriental.

This year, RESU recorded only 41 firecracker-related injuries covering the same period. Of the total number of cases, majority – or 35 - were recorded in Cebu, with only three each in Bohol and Negros Oriental provinces.

The RESU data indicated that 21 cases involved active involvement with firecracker use, while the rest of the cases involved those who were just observers.

The data further revealed that majority of the injured victims were male while only nine females were reported to have suffered from burns.

Also, of the 41 cases recorded, four suffered amputations, one suffered an eye injury, with one person each in Cebu and Bohol province hit by stray bullets.

Dr. Expedito Medalla, DoH 7 Health Emergency Management Staff coordinator disclosed that with the lesser number of cases this year they are optimistic that the decreasing trend will continue, given unified efforts of the health department, police and the local government units in curbing the use of illegal firecrackers here. (Phoebe Jen Indino)

RAIN TRIGGERS CEBU LANDSLIDE

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Two houses were damaged in Brgy. Kalunasan, this city, while the road going to a mountain barangay was deemed impassable due to landslides triggered by days of continued downpour that started last Saturday.

About 200 houses in Sitio Upper and Lower Awihaw, Kalunasan experienced brownouts after an ipil-ipil tree fell into the power lines because of the landslide. The houses of Eddie Macaldo and Guillermo Lawas were also damaged by the fallen tree.

The Macaldo family was evacuated by Kalunasan Captain Nunilon Monares but returned home after some repairs of their house were made.

No one was hurt in the incident. Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CCDRRMC) Executive Director Alvin Santillana said the Parks and Playground Committee immediately cleared the area.

In Brgy. Pamutan, two separate portions of the road going to and from the barangay were temporarily made impassable after two separate road erosion incidents happened last Sunday evening and Tuesday morning.

The route was detoured to an alternative road even as the local Department of Engineering and Public Works office here is clearing the area. (Mars W. Mosqueda, Jr.)

Comments