Celebrity World

Why Jennylyn, Albert were not nominated

By CRISPINA MARTINEZ-BELEN
January 7, 2011, 12:16pm

The big question that’s still nagging in the minds of those involved in the production of the movie “Rosario,” most especially the executive producer, Bong Sta. Maria, is “Why weren’t Jennylyn Mercado and Albert Martinez nominated for Best Actress and Best Director, respectively?”

However, Bong stressed, “The MMFF jurors have made their decision, we can’t argue with them in this case, and we are not questioning the winners. We’re just wondering why Jennylyn and Albert were not nominated at all. I strongly believe that Jennylyn made a very good performance in ‘Rosario.’ I am a newbie in the industry but I must say, I was very much impressed by Jennylyn’s performance. As to Albert, the fact that ‘Rosario’ won several awards – the Gatpuno Villegas Cultural Award, Best Cinematography, Best Editing and Best Production Design – I believe that this is due largely to inputs from him that made those concerned perform well.”

He added: “The jurors were entitled to their opinions and beliefs as we are entitled to ours. They have their own reasons for choosing the winners, but I still believe that Jennylyn and Albert deserved to be at least nominated. Actually, even Ai Ai said Jennylyn was her biggest rival for the Best Actress award.”

There were reports saying Jennylyn wasn’t nominated because she failed to showcase a sexually liberated woman that was her role. Her holding a cigarette was even questioned. But Bong asked: “What’s the right or wrong way to hold a cigarette? Bottomline is, aren’t we going to nominate her for an award on the basis of her holding a cigarette?”

As to Jennylyn’s sentiments, she said she was hurt by the issues. “When I did this movie, I gave my all. Binigay ko lahat ng makakaya ko hindi dahil sa gusto ko lang manalo ng award, but of course, I would also like to be recognized for what I did. Nasaktan ako sa nangyari pero kung hindi man ako nakapasa sa panlasa ng mga jurors, tinatanggap ko yon. There’s always a next time, at mas lalo ko pang pagbubutihan sa susunod.”

Jennylyn, who spent the holidays in Hong Kong together with her loved ones (including boyfriend Dennis Trillo) added: “I know that this will help me to become more mature as a person and as an actress. I sincerely accept what happened, and in time, makakalimutan ko din ito. I realize that the appreciation that the people gave for the movie is already rewarding in itself.”

• • •
Gary V., Charice all set for ‘1@11’

All’s set for the show “1@11” tonight at the SM Mall of Asia concert grounds. Presented by the “Lord of Scents” and “Celebrity Duets Season 3” grand winner Joel Cruz, the event is topbilled by two world-class performers, Gary Valenciano and Charice Pempengco. Gabriel Valenciano will do the opening act.

Multi-awarded singer, songwriter, actor, TV host and record producer, Gary V. , dubbed “Mr. Pure Energy,” is one of the country’s top concert artists who has performed before jampacked crowds here and abroad. Just recently, he and Martin Nievera finished 22 major local and international performances with their awesome “AS 1” concert series that included a successful repeat at the Araneta Coliseum in July 2010.

This was followed by Gary V.’s fundraising concert series “Soul in Motion” and the release of his 22nd project under Universal Records entitled “Replay.” Gary also hosted, together with Martin Nievera, two entertaining seasons of “Twist & Shout” on ABS-CBN.

Charice is an international singing sensation who continues to be the source of pride of the country, being the first Filipino artist to be featured on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” and “Oprah.” Charice was part of the “David Foster and Friends” concert series which was shown here last year. Charice also made waves around the world via her hit single “Pyramid” which hit the Billboard charts.

Charice and Gary will launch their individual scents created especially for them by Aficionado Gernany Perfumes and Joel Cruz Signatures via “1@11,” which will also feature box-office actor John Lloyd Cruz, fresh from the success of his most recent film “My Amnesia Girl” and his toprating soap opera “Imortal.”

Other featured artists in “1@11” are Jason Abalos, Erich Gonzales, Ronnie Liang, Pauleen Luna and Ejay Falcon. Also to be launched is Joel Cruz’s Cologne for Kids featuring the young endorsers Xyriel and Bugoy. The UST Symphony Orchestra and UST’s Coro Tomasino will also perform. The Kamikazee band will provide the music after the concert and fashion show.

“1@11” is a joint project of Joel Cruz and Central Affirmative, Inc. and Manila Genesis Entertainment and Management Inc. Over-all director is Roxanne Lapus.

• • •
Tidbits: Happy b-day greetings for Jan. 8, go to Dr. Jaime Laya, Judge Aurora. P. Navarette-Recina, Mrs. Amparo Aspiras, jeweler Benjamin Yap, Rowena Bautista-Mendiola, realtor Louismil Gala, Frances Alincastre, Carrie Javier, Manny Hernandez, Bennie Espiritu, Mrs. Carmencita Valentino, Tom Canchela, Noriel del Rosario, Joselito Testa, Graham Rae Buenaseda, Tanya Scaife of Star Magic and MB’s Robert de Luna… Happy wedding anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Medardo del Rosario of Baldwin Park, California, and John and Lira Cortado…

Comments