Visayas Newsbits
No beer for sale during Sinulog
CEBU CITY, Philippines – Mayor Michael Rama has denied the request of beer companies to sell their products at the Fuente Osmeña Circle, one of the major points during the Sinulog Festival on January 16.
Rama met with representatives of beer companies who urged him to issue a special permit so they would be allowed to sell beer inside the oval during the festival.
But Rama strongly denied the request saying approving it would be a violation of a city ordinance.
Rama is referring to City Ordinance No. 1413, which prohibits the sale and serving of liquor and other intoxicating products within a 100-meter radius from churches, hospitals, schools, and public plazas.
The ordinance, however, still allows the mayor to grant special permits within the prohibited areas on a case-to-case basis, but only after the concerned vendors pay P6,000 fee to the city treasurer’s office.
Rama clarified he has not issued special permits so far. He said that except for legitimate business establishments that are already selling liquor and beer, no one shall be allowed to sell the drinks along the parade route.
He said granting a special permit now would create a precedent, as other companies would then seek exemption to sell intoxicating beverages in other public parks.
The Fuente Osmeña Circle is an ideal place to sell goods during the Sinulog festivities especially during the Grand Parade on January 16 because thousands are expected to flock there being an area traversed by the parade route.
City Treasurer Ofelia Oliva stressed said products will be confiscated if beer companies cannot present a special permit from the mayor’s office. (Mars W. Mosqueda Jr.)
Fire victims get P1.3M
CEBU CITY- Some three hundred ten families who lost their homes during two recent fire incidents in this city received cash assistance from Representative Tomas
Osmeña through his Priority Development Assistance Fund.
Recipients of the financial aid were affected residents of Barangays Duljo Fatima and Guadalupe. Osmeña, who is former Cebu City mayor, personally distributed the cash aid along with his wife Margot, an incumbent councilor in this city and Department of Social Welfare and Development regional director Ma. Evelyn Macapobre.
In Barangay Duljo Fatima, 72 homeowners whose houses were totally destroyed received P10,000 each while three families got P5, 000 each as their houses were only partially damaged.
The remaining 91 fire victims, mostly house sharers and renters, received P1,000 each.
Meanwhile, Guadalupe fire victims also received financial aid worth P476,000, with P410,000 distributed to 41 families whose houses were totally burned, while the owners of the remaining two houses that were partially damaged were given P5,000 each.
The remaining 51 house renters and sharers received P1,000 each. (Phoebe Jen Indino)
Nachura endrosed as COMELEC head
TACLOBAN CITY – Members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod here during its regular session the other day asked President Benigno Simeon C. Aquino III to appoint
Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Eduardo B. Nachura as the new Chairman of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) to replace outgoing COMELEC Chairman Jose Melo.
The resolution authored by lawyer Jerry S. Uy, Chairman of the City Council's Committee on Laws, was unanimously approved by members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod.
The resolution urges the President to appoint Nachura, who hails from Catbalogan City in Samar for the post.
In doing so, the resolution said, Leyteños will be represented in the national government.
Uy said Nachura, who is also a bar topnotcher, and law professor, is “most qualified and fit for the COMELEC chairmanship, because of his integrity and competence.”
He also said that Nachura has served in the three branches of government, that is, as Undersecretary of the Department of Education, as former member
of the House of Representativces and currently as Supreme Court associate justice. (Nestor L. Abrematea)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.