Luzon Newsbits

Pulag trekkers warned of cold

January 11, 2011, 4:23pm

KABAYAN, Benguet, Philippines — Environment and health officials warned the public, especially mountain climbers and hikers, to prepare for the chilly weather condition prevailing in Mount Pulag, the second highest mountain peak in the country, in order to be spared from acquiring cold day illnesses that might spoil their adventure trip.

As the temperature in Baguio City and other highly elevated areas in the different parts of the region dropped, the coldest temperature in Mount Pulag – approximately 11,500 feet above sea level – also dropped from 2 to 3 degrees Celsius, making the situation difficult for the trekkers. (Dexter A. See)

TARLAC RECEIVES NUTRITION PLUM

TARLAC CITY, Philippines — The City Green Banner Award of the National Nutrition Council in Region 3 has been awarded to this city and acknowledged last Monday by Mayor Gelacio Manalang.

The Green Banner Award was received by the city from NNC 3 Chief Maria Vicenta Magpantay for exemplary performance in managing the city’s nutrition action plans.

Magpantay hopes that the city will be able to maintain the title for three consecutive years so that it will qualify for the Consistent Regional Outstanding Winner for Nutrition award or CROWN. (Franco G. Regala)

CALL CENTER WITH A TWIST

DINALUPIHAN, Bataan, Philippines — The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) raided on Monday a supposed call center allegedly engaged in selling pornographic sites and arrested 38 of its personnel in Barangay Bonifacio, here.

Chief Inspector Rogarth B. Campo, CIDG provincial chief, reported that they raided the Midway Contact center in Bonifacio, following intelligence reports that it was a front for cybersex, gypping prospective foreign clients and Filipino customers.

The raid was authorized by Executive Judge Remigio Escalada, Jr., of the Regional Trial Court Branch 3.

Aside from arresting the 38 personnel, Campo said that they also confiscated 62 sets of computers, assorted routers and modem, printers sand telephones from the said firm. (Mar T. Supnad)

3,285 MOSQUITO NETS GIVEN OUT

RODRIGUEZ, Rizal, Philippines — A total of 3,285 mosquito nets have been distributed throughout this municipality as part of an awareness campaign on the threat posed by mosquito-borne diseases malaria and dengue.

Rodriguez Mayor Cecilio Hernandez said the mosquito nets distributed were laced with insecticides, particularly those given to residents of areas with a high incidence of dengue as Barangays Macabud, San Isidro, San Rafael, Mascap and Puray.

The mosquito nets were provided by the Global Fund-MALARI, through the Pilipinas Shell Foundation Inc. led by Project Officer Gary T. Aliggayu and the Department of Health.

Meanwhile, health officials in Antipolo City are calling on the residents living in the upland communities to be aware of the dangers of the cold spell to their health as respiratory diseases are common among children since December last year.

City Health Office (CHO) chief, Dr. Antonio Reillo told Manila Bulletin that cases of respiratory tract infection are prevalent among kids in the city.

Common colds, cough and flu are three of the most common respiratory tract infection that residents are complaining during this colder season, health personnel of the CHO revealed. (Madelynne Dominguez and Nel B. Andrade)

Comments