Luzon Newsbits

Sta. Rosa holds Sikhayan Festival

January 17, 2011, 4:52pm

STA. ROSA CITY, Laguna, Philippines — This city opens Tuesday its 7th Sikhayan (Sikap-Kabuhayan) Festival in conjunction with its 219th Founding Anniversary. Sikhayan Festival is a symbolic pledge made by the city residents towards a promising future carved through their hard work and discipline.

This year’s celebration marks another step towards the attainment of the city’s mission and vision as encapsulated in its slogan “Serbisyong Makatao, Lungsodna Makabago.”

Mayor Arlene Arcillas-Nazareno and the City Council expect Vice President Jejomar Binay to grace the event as their guest speaker as the city steps towards building a modern city. One of the highlights of the celebration is the street-dancing competition. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

BAGUIO DECREASES WASTE VOLUME

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — The adherence of local residents to the segregation of their waste at source has significantly contributed to the reduction of the volume of waste being dumped at the Irisan open dumpsite.

Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan reported from the average of 166 tons of waste being brought to the Irisan dumpsite daily, the same has been reduced to 103 tons or approximately 40 percent as people are now learning to segregate their waste before their collection schedules. (Dexter A. See)

O.F.W. CENTER FOR PANGASINAN

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan, Philippines — Provincial Board Member Ranjit Ramos Shahani shared Monday his vision to establish an OFW Action Center in the province that will accommodate and act on problems of overseas Filipino workers.

Shahani said the center will accommodate any complaint from OFWs’ relatives who are in trouble abroad.

He brought up the need for such an office for OFW concerns following the repatriation last week of the remains of three OFWs from Saudi Arabia. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

WAVES WRECK BOAT; 8 SURVIVE

TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines — Eight people, including a seven-month-old baby, were lucky to survive after big waves wrecked the vessel they were riding in waters off Barangay Linao, Aparri, Cagayan the Sunday.

The victims were bound for Claveria, Cagayan aboard M/V San Bartolome when it was hit by big waves. Luckily, they were nearing the port in Aparri when the incident happened.

Chief Inspector George Cablarta, Aparri town’s chief of police, identified the survivors as Felino Fernando, 53; Arthur Fernando Duerme, 33, his wife - Mercy 32 and his child Boy Arthur Duerme, 7 – month old; Fernando Llopis; Prince Fernando, 29; Rexum Fernando; and Vincent Caddarao, 19, all residents of Calayan Island in Cagayan. (Freddie G. Lazaro)

REGULATED QUARRY OPERATIONS PUSHED

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — The Cordillera office of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) here said Monday that it supports the conduct of regulated quarrying and responsible mining in the different parts of the region so that the Cordillera will be able to benefit from its rich natural resources.

Clarence Baguilat, DENR-CAR regional director, said the region is rich in natural resources which could spur economic development even in far flung communities if the same will be responsibly utilized by companies and individuals interested to exploit, utilize and develop the resources. (Dexter A. See)

Comments