Luzon Newsbits

Hanjin to hire 600 ZambaleƱos

January 24, 2011, 5:24pm

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT, Philippines — At least 600 skilled workers from Zambales will be hired soon by the Korean shipbuilder, Hanjin, under an employment program of the Public Employment Service Office (PESO) in the said province.

Out of the 950 applicants who submitted their applications since August 2010 for possible employment, 600 of them will be hired by Hanjin and assigned either here or abroad.

The PESO said this reflects the success or recent job fairs were participated in by big companies including Hanjin Heavy Industries Corporation-Philippines, Genesis Transport Services, Subic Water and Sewerage Company and Yang Wha Agency. (Franco G. Regala)

E.R.S. MACHINES TAKE ON WASTES

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — The city government said Monday it was pleased with the performance of the Environmental Recycling System (ERS) machines purchased by the local government last month to compost the city’s biodegradable waste.

So far, the ERS machines are doing good in their initial operations at the Irisan composting plant, local officials said. Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan said at least 20 tons of garbage are being fed into the machines daily in the initial phase of its operations.

After the break-in process, full blast operations will see each of the ERS machines composting 24 tons of garbage every day. (Dexter A. See)

BATANGAS HOSTS WORKSHOP ON CRISIS MANAGEMENT

BATANGAS CITY, Philippines — The Police Regional Office (PRO) 4-A conducted Monday a seminar-workshop on Crisis Management Committee (CMC) at the Provincial Auditorium in the Batangas Capitol.

Chief Superintendent Samuel Pagdilao Jr., PRO4-A director, said the main objective of the program is to inform the local government units and chiefs of police to know their respective roles on how to handle crisis and hostage situations. Among the speakers were DzMM reporter Noel Alamar, Supt. Rodeny Ramirez, and Senior Inspector Alfie Salang. It was attended by Governor Vilma Santos-Recto, mayors and other law enforcement and local government officials. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

QUAKE HITS VIGAN

SINAIT, Ilocos Sur, Philippines — A predawn earthquake measuring magnitude 4.0 hit Vigan City Monday but caused no casualties or damage to property, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) satellite office based here reported.

Phivolcs-Sinait Officer-in-Charge Porferio de Peralta said the earthquake occurred at 1 a.m. with its epicenter located 19 kilometers northwest of Vigan City and a depth of 28 kilometers. De Peralta said the tremor was too weak to be significantly felt. (Freddie G. Lazaro)

P.E.N.R.O. WANTS DUMPSITE SHUT

DAGUPAN CITY, Philippines — An open dumpsite here has been recommended for closure by the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO) for alleged violations of Republic Act 9003 or Ecological Solid Waste Management Act and endangering residents in its vicinity.

PENRO Officer Leduina S. Co made the recommendation against the continued operation of the dumpsite in Barangay Bacayao Sur, here, after a team of inspectors led by Environmental Management Specialist II Rodolfo B. De Ocampo. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

Comments