Visayas Newsbits
City library gets 1,568 books
CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines – Officials of the Cebu City Public Library and Information Center (CCPLIC) Tuesday revealed that the library has received 1,568 volumes of books as donations from various individuals in 2010.
While the number of people who visited the library last year was 57 percent lower compared to the previous year because of ongoing renovation tasks being implemented in the CCPLIC, the number of book donors continued to increase in 2010, the CCPLIC said.
Based on the accomplishment and comparative report of the city library, some 130,000 individuals visited the CCPLIC from 2006 to 2010, working on research and reading books, although the figure decreased last year due to ongoing various works at the facility. (Mars W. Mosqueda, Jr.)
D.E.N.R. TO SEIZE ILLEGAL TIMBER
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines (PIA6) – Logs and timber products sent illegally to Bacolod City will be confiscated and shippers will be jailed.
This was the stern warning made by Community and Environment and Natural Resource Officer Joan Nathaniel Gerangaya in the light of the recent confiscation of logs found inside a 20-footer container van from Osamis City in the city’s BREDCO port last December 2010.
The items were declared as used construction materials but had no discharge permit from the point of origin. Authorities continue to work on the case while the items have yet to be claimed.
Over 51.79 cubic meters of illegal logs were seized by the combined DENR and the Bureau of Customs (BoC) forces in this operation, he told the Philippine Information Agency (PIA).
4-H CLUBS RECEIVE CASH AID
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental, Philippines (PIA) – Seven 4-H clubs in the province have received financial assistance coming to P350,000 from the Agricultural Training Institute (ATI) Central Visayas to finance their proposed agri-based livelihood projects here.
The grant, released under the 2010 Support for Livelihood Projects program, was turned over last January 13 by Provincial Agriculturist Gregorio Paltinca and ATI's 4H Focal Person, Gracia Fementira-Arado at the Multi-Purpose Hall in the Provincial Agricultural Office (PAO) Compound.
BOGO FARMERS GET C.L.O.A.S.
CEBU, Philippines (PIA) – Thirty-eight farmers from landholdings owned previously by Manuel Link in Barangay Binabag, Bogo, Cebu received Certificates of Land Ownership Awards (CLOAs) from the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR)-Cebu Provincial Office recently.
The land covers nearly 31 hectares under the compulsory acquisition scheme of Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (CARP) on December 28, 2010.
In a recognition ceremony held at the Binabag Barangay Hall, Bogo, Cebu, Provincial Agrarian Reform Officer (PARO) II Grace B. Fua, assisted by former landowner Manuel Guy Link and Bogo Vice Mayor Santiago Sevilla distributed the CLOAs to the agrarian reform farmer beneficiaries (ARBs).
I.E.C. CONDUCTED ON GRANTS PROGRAM
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo, Philippines (PIA) – The Department of Science and Technology (DoST) 6 has recently conducted an Information, Education and Communication campaign (IEC) on DoST Programs and Funding Mechanisms for some 73 clients.
DoST 6 Director Rowena Gelonga said the information dissemination campaign is indicated on new guidelines and policies in availing DoST Grants-in-Aid (DoST-GIA) and are new requirements in processing approved programs and projects.
Gelonga said the DoST-GIA represents counterpart and leverage funds for the agency providing grants for the implementation of programs and projects identified in current DoST priorities and thrusts.
He also said the DoST GIA program aims to harness the country’s scientific and technological capabilities through financial grants to Science and Technology programs and projects and attain sustainable economic growth.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.