Visayas Newsbits

Aklan tourists arrival near 1M

February 3, 2011, 5:43pm

KALIBO, Aklan (PIA) — A 20% increase in tourist arrivals in Boracay Island here in 2010 is seen by provincial officials as an indication that the province is fast on its way to reaching the 1 million mark in tourist arrivals earlier than 2013 as was originally targeted.

From 649,559 tourist arrivals in 2009, the figure rose to 779,666 in 2010, reported Governor Carlito S. Marquez in his154186 State of the Province Address (SOPA) recently.

Marquez said 36 percent of the 2010 figure or 278,531 are foreign tourists, registering an increase of 44.41 percent from 192,873 in 2009.

Negros gets D.S.W.D. award
BACOLOD CITY, Neg. Occidental (PIA) — The province of Negros Occidental has been conferred the “Maraming Salamat Po Award” for its exemplary performance in implementing the anti-poverty program of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) dubbed Kapit Bisig Laban sa Kahirapan- Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Services (KALAHI-CIDSS).

Themed “DSWD at 60: Committed Social Services with Integrity,” the awarding ceremony was\ held at the DSWD Field Office VI compound in Molo Iloilo City recently, led by DSWD Regional Director Minda Brigoli.

Cebu church coffers taken
SANTANDER, Cebu – Thieves seem to be getting bolder nowadays as indicated by unidentified burglars’ breaking into the treasurer's office of the Saint Gabriel Parish Church, this town, taking away P40,000 of the church’s income.

Indifferent about the fact that they were violating a holy place, the thieves reportedly destroyed the padlock of the gate leading to the church convent and proceeded to break in the office of the treasurer.

Police said the burglars destroyed the drawer where the cash was kept and then managed to get hold of the P40,000 church income. (Mars W. Mosqueda, Jr.)

I.P.P.O. tops performance
ILOILO CITY (PNA) — The Iloilo Provincial Police Office (IPPO) led by Senior Supt. Gil Lebin has topped the performance evaluation conducted by the Police Regional Office (PRO) 6. Senior Supt. Lebin, who learned of the performance evaluation in the last quarter of 2010 which has just been released, expressed pride in the achievement.

The last time the IPPO ranked number one was a decade ago during the time of Senior Supt. Victor Boco.

Senior Supt. Lebin, who was appointed IPPO director of IPPO in August 2010 said in the last performance evaluation, which took place during the first quarter of 2010, IPPO ranked sixth.

Diarrhea cases alarm health department
CEBU CITY – The Cebu City Health Department (CHD) is alarmed over the rising incidence of diarrhea in the city, with 347 cases affecting mostly children in January alone. While alarming, the number is, in fact, lower compared to the 452
cases in the same period last year.

Still, City Health Officer Stella Ygoña said the figure is alarming enough to prompt her to conduct a surprise inspection on various food stalls in the city to check on sanitation.

Diarrhea, she said, is usually caused by unsanitary food and drinks. (Mars W. Mosqueda)

Comments