Visayas Newsbits
B.I.R. 8 to launch tax info drive
TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte (PIA) – The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) in Eastern Visayas is set to officially kick off its 2011 Tax Campaign on Tuesday, February 15, 2011, inspired by the patriotic tax campaign theme, “Buwis Mo Para sa Bagong Pilipinas.”
Atty. Alert Alocilja, BIR Regional Director, said the kick-off activity will be highlighted with a motorcade and a press conference to concretize plans and strategies to boost revenue collections, specifically the assigned revenue targets for Tax Year 2011.
Aklan's abaca industry earn P50-M
KALIBO, Aklan (PIA) — Abaca production in 2010 earned for Aklan an estimated R50 million covering 1,242,344 kilograms, according to Governor Carlito S. Marquez.
Marquez said this is slightly lower than the 2009 production placed at 1,461,292 kilograms due to the outbreak of abaca mosaic disease.
However, the governor assured that with the assistance of the Fiber Industry Development Authority (FIDA), the infestation had been controlled and the province is planning to further expand its abaca program.In 2010, a total of 4,208 hectares in various municipalities here were planted to abaca.
Traders Ok Bacolod redistricting
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occ. — Bacolod City traders comprising the Metro Bacolod Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MBCCI), have resolved to support the halving of the lone district of Bacolod into two legislative districts.
The group said that “with two legislative districts in the city, each representative will be able to focus in addressing the concerns of the right number of constituents within a smaller geographical area.
MBCCI President Frank Carbon also said two districts will mean additional development projects and funds which ensures the stimulation of higher economic growth for the city. (Edith B. Colmo)
Cebu tourism unfazed by floods
CEBU CITY – Tourism stakeholders here are optimistic that flashfloods which have been hitting Cebu in the recent past due to heavy rains will not deter tourists from visiting one of the country's top tourist destinations.
The Tourism Educators and Movers Philippines (TEAM) and the National Association of Independent Travel Agencies in Cebu have downplayed insinuations that the floods will discourage tourist from traveling to Cebu.
“This is a very small issue and it will not affect the industry. Even in Saudi Arabia, a desert country, there is flood,” said TEAM chairman Robert Lim Joseph in a recent meeting of the weekly 888 News Forum at the Marco Polo Plaza Hotel in Cebu City. (Mars W. Mosqueda Jr.)
Oplan Bayanihan to continue
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental (PNA) — Army commanders and priests in Negros Island converged here Thursday last week to discuss matters pertaining to peace and security, including development programs.
The 34th meeting, however, of the Church Military Advisory Group (CMAG) was conducted without the presence of the media upon the request of church representatives.
Army commanders from the 303rd and 302nd Brigades earlier discussed the implementation of "Oplan Bayanihan" with peace and development as the centerpiece in winning the hearts and minds of the people.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.