Luzon Newsbits

Closer Canada, Baguio ties eyed

February 19, 2011, 6:21pm

BAGUIO CITY – Canadian Ambassador to the Philippines Christopher Thornley said there will be more tradeoffs between the Canadian government and the city of Baguio because of the potential business opportunities in the city and its improving business climate.

In a courtesy call to Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan, Thornley cited the training of personnel in the field of energy and renewable energy projects as among the projects that the Canadian government seeks to put in place and strengthen in the coming years. (Dexter A. See)

Simple graduation rites gain support
BONTOC, Mt. Province – With the upcoming school graduations, Education Secretary Armin A. Luistro recently issued DepEd Order No. 4, s.2011 directing all public schools to observe austerity and simplicity and not to collect any graduation fees or any kind of contribution for graduation rites.

The order issued by the education department is being supported by Gov. Leonard Mayaen here who underscored that graduation from any level of education is a reason to celebrate for the graduates and their parents for their initial success in their career but not to lavishly spend for such a celebration that would drain their resources and derail their future plans in their studies. (Dexter A. See)

Kalinga to send 8 OFWs to HK
TABUK, Kalinga – After the tragic hostage-taking incident at the Quirino Grandstand last year involving Hong Kong tourists, the province is sending its first batch of overseas workers to Hong Kong this year.

They will work as domestic helpers to show that the relations between the Philippines and Hong Kong have already normalized despite the ongoing inquest proceedings being done by the prosecutors of the special administrative region of China. (Dexter A. See)

Bulacan supports leprosy campaign
MALOLOS, Bulacan – The Provincial Government of Bulacan is one with the Department of Health’s Leprosy Control Program in gearing towards a Leprosy-Free Philippines.

In line with the observance of Leprosy Prevention and Control Week this month, Bulacan Gov. Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado directed a wider coverage of information dissemination that will inform the Bulakenyos of the disease’s symptoms, prevention and treatment.

According to the records of Provincial Public Health Office, there are 13 Persons with Leprosy (PWL) who are undergoing medications. (Freddie C. Velez)

Search on for Asna Awards
LINGAYEN – The search is on for the 2011 Asna Awards, one of the highlights of the 431st foundation anniversary of Pangasinan on April 5. Asna is from the word “asin” from which Pangasinan derived its name. Ma. Luisa A. Elduayan, Provincial Tourism Officer, said the public is welcome to submit nominees.

The search, now on its second year, will be based on various categories like government service, community service, arts and culture, medicine, agricultural development, mass communications, business and entrepreneurship, science and technology, education, law and sports.

Elduayan said the nomination is open to all Pangasinenses who did not only excel in their various fields but contributed to the welfare of other people using their field of specialization as vital instrument. (Mar Supnad)

Comments