Visayas Newsbits

P1.2 M given for river study

February 24, 2011, 4:45pm

SIQUIJOR (PIA) — A P1.2 million fund from the Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) has been allocated for the assessment of Señora River in Lazi, Siquijor.

Approved work plan submitted by Project Leader Rosalina Catid, Vice-President of the Research Extension Program of the Siquijor State College (SSC), says the project involves assessment of the Señora River in terms of its physico-chemical characteristics, biodiversity and socio-cultural conditions of the inhabitants along the river bank.

221 pass alternative learning exams

ILOILO CITY (PIA) — Some 221 of 592 persons who took the Department of Education’s (DepEd) Alternative Learning System Accreditation and Equivalency (ALS A&E) Test held here passed the test.

This showed a passing rate of 37 percent, higher than the figure for last year's 20 percent, according to Iloilo City’s DepEd Assistant School Division Supt. Angelita Ragudo who said 192 passed for the secondary level, while 17 passed for the elementary level, including three inmates who passed the exam for elementary level and nine for the secondary level.

70 soldiers awarded homes
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental (PIA) — At least 70 soldiers from different units of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) assigned in Negros Oriental will be awarded certificates of ownership on their new homes on February 24 at Camp Leon Kilat in Tanjay City.

Lt. Gen. Arturo Ortiz, Commanding General of the Philippine Army will turn-over the keys and the certificates of ownership to soldier-beneficiaries under the “Kalinga sa Kawal Housing Project” (KKHP). According to Col. Manuel Luis Ochotorena, commander of the 302nd Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army (PA), the KKHP was conceived by the Department of National Defense (DND) which entered into a memorandum of agreement (MOA) on July 16, 2005.

Coco infestation hits Capiz
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (PIA) – Coconut infestation has hit three towns in Capiz. Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) Provincial Manager Jeffrey delos Reyes said that the brontispa longissima which infested coconut and palm plantations in Ivisan town initially had spread in two other towns, namely Dumarao and Dumalag.

As of February 21, delos Reyes said a total of 1,858 coconut plantation and 44 ornamental palms in Capiz were destroyed by the coconut leaf beetle, of which 1,703 are non-fruit bearing and the 155 others are fruit-bearing coconuts.

Two break into steakhouse
CEBU CITY, Cebu – Two decent-looking, English-speaking men robbed a steak restaurant in downtown Cebu the other day using steak knives they used in feasting on the black Angus steak.

The two stole P15,000 worth of cellular phones from Black Angus Steak House after having a steak meal worth P3,000, said Insp. Rolando Pinili of the City's Theft And Robbery Section.

Pinili said the two men, wearing long-sleeved shirts, entered the establishment past 1 p.m. and ordered drinks and steak.

Two hours later, when other customers have left, the two suspects went to the cashier and declared a holdup using the steak knives.

Comments