Visayas Newsbits
Scholarship grant for 2 Capiz pupils
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (PIA) – Capiz has two qualifiers to the scholarship program of the Philippine Science High School under the Department of Science and Technology (DoST).
According to DoST Capiz Information Officer Sharon Portillo, two graduating elementary pupils from Capiz have successfully passed the scholarship examinations for incoming first year high school students.
Portillo said that Bea Barolo Artuz of President Manuel Roxas Memorial School-South and Edmund Rios Vigo Tan of Capiz Commercial School were among the 91 passers from Western Visayas.
The Philippine Science High School national competitive examination was held in November 6 last year, she said.
Limasawa seen as rabies-free
MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte (PIA) – For the last two years, the municipality of Limasawa recorded zero incidence of rabies and the lowest dog-bites documented throughout the province, thus it was the pilot area for the launching of the Rabies Elimination Program held on March 3.
Provincial Health Officer I Dr. Noel Lumen reported that the health department targeted Limasawa to be rabies-free, three years from now, saying that “the orientation aims to advocate the residents to send their dogs voluntarily to the Veterinarian’s office for a free vaccination of their pet dogs.”
Alcohol control in villages pushed
DUMAGUETE CITY (PIA) – A ranking police official here is pushing for an ordinance that will regulate the sale of alcohol in the villages in an effort to reduce alcohol-related crime incidents in the area.
Provicial Police Director Col. Rey Lyndon Lawas cited the need for storeowners selling alcohol to be mindful of how their business impacts the peace and order in the villages.
Lawas said that an ordinance, either at the municipal or city level, and at the village level, is a surefire way of quickly addressing alcohol-related crime incidents in the communities.
N.F.A. guarantees supply in Ormoc
ORMOC CITY (PNA) – The National Food Authority (NFA) assured that there is enough buffer stocks of rice for this city throughout the year.
The food agency gave this assurance with the projected shortfall of rice harvest due to the La Niña weather phenomenon now being experienced in the country.
Victorino Daguy, NFA Ormoc warehouseman, said as of February 21, the agency had a stock of 20,000 sacks of well-milled rice comparable in quality to the commercial variety sold in the market.
Cebu sets load limit for trucks
CEBU CITY – Concerned on the damages on the roads and highways caused by huge cargo trucks, the Cebu provincial government is set to impose load limit on vehicles traveling through the provincial roads around Cebu.
Mayors of various towns and various sand and gravel firms agreed in a meeting with Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia to limit the carrying capacity of trucks to 10 tons.
Quarry operators also agreed to follow the provisions stipulated in their permits to limit their loads to 10 tons during the meeting where Garcia expressed disgust at how the newly-paved roads in the province got damaged due to huge trucks.
Garcia told reporters that they needed to impose a limit since they have seen that provincial roads deteriorate due to stress from heavy and overloaded trucks. (Mars Mosqueda)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.