Luzon Newsbits
Angeles City picked as contest venue
ANGELES CITY, Pampanga — Officials and organizers of the Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit and Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (OPM-PAGCOR) recently chose this city for their singing contest – nationwide Search for the Total OPM Performer” – which is open to all Filipino amateur singers in the country.
A cash prize of P300,000, a trophy, a recording contract with a major label and a performance contract with PAGCOR await the sole grand champion.
Angeles City Mayor Edgardo “Edpam” Pamintuan, said he is thankful and proud for his city to have been chosen as one of the audition venues of the OPM-PAGCOR singing contest. (Franco G. Regala)
Overloaded trucks given citations
SAN FERNANDO CITY, Pampanga — Gov. Lilia G. Pineda said Saturday that 90 to 95 percent of quarry trucks and other heavy haulers plying barangay, municipal and national roads in Pampanga have been found to be overloaded.
In a report submitted by Andres Pangilinan Jr., Pampanga provincial administrator, Pineda said several trucks and other heavy haulers were found to be overloaded when Capitol officials conducted a weighing scale “dry run” in Floridablanca town recently. (Franco G. Regala)
Firm's ammonia pipeline leaks
PULILAN, Bulacan — Some residents of this town, including babies, suffered from dizziness, breathing difficulty and vomiting and were rushed to a clinic after the ammonia pipeline of a big ice cream factory in Barangay Tibag suffered minor leakage late Thursday night, belated report said Saturday.
Fernando Paraiso, a barangay tanod in the village, said they smelled the obnoxious fumes emanating from the ammonia pipeline of Nestlè Philippines at around 11 p.m. Thursday up to the early hours of Friday.
Paraiso said a four-month-old child, a two-year-old boy and several residents felt dizzy and experienced breathing difficulty. (Freddie C. Velez)
Kalinga corn crops drying
TABUK CITY, Kalinga – Millions of pesos worth of corn crops in various barangays in this city are now suffering the brunt of an impending dry spell similar to last year’s drought that damaged corn and rice plantations resulting to heavy losses among agriculture stakeholders.
In Barangay Cudal here, experts observed that the over 1,000 hectares of corn plantation is now being affected by the dry spell considering that the growth of the corn crops are reportedly stunted and turning yellow while fully grown ones have reportedly thin ears, an indication that the corn plants that are on their flowering and vegetative stages are no longer profitable. (Dexter See)
Robredo explains Aquino's orders
BAGUIO CITY – Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse M. Robredo has clarified that President Aquino’s recent order directing police officers in the country not to assist local governments in the demolition of informal settlers is not meant to prejudice decisions of local governments, especially the city government of Baguio, in its plans to rid watersheds and forests of squatters.
In response to an earlier letter of Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan which sought clarification and possible lifting of the President’s directive, Robredo said the order does not prejudice any plans of local governments to demolish informal settlers in watersheds and forests as well as private properties. (Dexter See)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.