Visayas Newsbits

Bantay Dagat cops relieved

Visayas Newsbits
March 17, 2011, 6:16pm

Bantay Dagat cops relieved

ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PNA) – Senior Supt. Gil Lebin, provincial director of Iloilo Police Provincial Office (IPPO), has relieved four "Bantay Dagat" policemen pending investigation of their alleged involvement in extortion activities.

Relieved were SPO1 Porferio Bartolome of Batad PNP, PO2 Paul Torrico of Conception PNP, P02 Manolo Rufino of Ajuy PNP, and SPO2 Porferio Sumbang Jr., assigned at the IPPO Intelligence Section. Such action was in response to Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor Sr.’s orders to immediately relieve all Bantay Dagat policemen allegedly involved in wrongdoing.

Council names street President Osmena 

TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte -The Sangguniang Panlungsod here has named a street in the city after President Sergio Osmeña Avenue. Councilor Jerry S. Uy, chair of the Committee on Laws of the Sangguniang Panlungsod, said his resolution naming a street in honor of the former President was unanimously adopted and approved in a recent session.

Uy said the road from the junction of the Leyte Progressive High School at Paseo de Legaspi to the corner of Daang Maharlika in Barangay Abucay passing through the New Tacloban City Bus Terminal has been named President Sergio Osmeña Avenue by the City Council. (Nestor L. Abrematea)

Illegal river structures out by April 1

ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PNA) – Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog repeated his appeal to owners of illegal structures around the Iloilo River to voluntarily remove their structures before the March 31, 2011 deadline set by the multi-agencies task force and the Iloilo River Development Council or face forcible removal.

“The identified illegal structures will be out by April 1, 2011,” Mabilog said after mobilizing Task Force Asis on what to remove at the Iloilo River. Mabilog said a notice to vacate the area was already served last week by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Community Environment and Natural Resources Office (DENR-CENRO) through Cenro Bernabe Garnace to the operator/owner of Barbecue Park, Ryans Seafoods, docking site and occupants of the former Taal barangay hall.

Ignore hoax texts-DEPED7 

ARGAO, Cebu - Victor Yntig of DepEd 7 said no classes have been suspended in Cebu and the rest of the region as a result of circulating hoax text messages saying radiation leaking from nuclear power plants in Japan will reach the Philippines.

Yntig made the pronouncement during the emergency press conference called by the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (RDRRMC 7) last Monday afternoon to clarify issues that have caused quite a public stir. (Mars W. Mosqueda, Jr.)

Inmates get free livelihood training

CEBU CITY, Cebu - Inmates of this city’s female dormitory under the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology will benefit from on livelihood program lectures and seminars to be conducted by the Cebu Technological University (CTU) as part of its extension services.

Dr. Rebecca Manalastas, CTU Gender and Development Focal person said the female dormitory is one of the CTU’s extension services partners, particularly with regard to livelihood orientations and seminars aimed at empowering the women inmates when they get out of jail. (Phoebe Jen Indino)

 

Comments