Luzon Newsbits

Rizal, SC answer inmates' woes

June 9, 2011, 6:22pm

TAYTAY, Rizal, Philippines — Inmates at the provincial jail facility in this town received free medical treatment in line with the double celebration of the 110th Anniversary of the Province and the Supreme Court (SC).

Volunteers medical personnel brought in by the Office of the Chief Justice provided free medical and dental services to hundreds of inmates of the Rizal Provincial Jail located on Hilltop, in this municipality Thursday.

Inmates afflicted with respiratory ailments, and minor skin diseases were given treatment and members of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) provided them free legal assistance. (Nel B. Andrade)

Independence Day rites in Barasoain

MALOLOS CITY, Bulacan — Provincial and local officials here will lead the commemoration of the 113th anniversary of Philippine Independence at the historic Barasoain Church in this city on Sunday.

Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado said Thursday all is set for the celebration which will be attended by five congressmen of the province, Malolos City officials led by Mayor Christian D. Natividad, the League of Municipalities-Bulacan Chapter headed by Paombong Mayor Donato Marcos, Central Luzon police director Chief Supt. Edgardo Ladao, the Veterans Federation of the Philippines-Malolos Chapter led by Dioscoro Valenzuela, teachers, students, and residents of the historic city of Malolos. (Freddie C. Velez)

3,651 TB patients get assistance

SAN FERNANDO CITY, Pampanga — Some 3,651 patients suffering from symptoms of tuberculosis in Pampanga have benefited from medical assistance given by the Provincial Health Office (PHO) here.

At least 750 of the said patients have been tested smear positives for the TB virus.

Dr. Antonio Aquino, acting provincial health officer, said that out of the 750, some 64% or 480 got cured and the others merely completed their treatment.

“It is this last group that the PHO wants to pay more attention to in order to increase the percentage of those who get cured,” Aquino said. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)

Cavite renews fight vs dengue

IMUS, Cavite — The Cavite Provincial Health Office (PHO) renewed and intensified its campaign against dengue and other diseases with the onset of rainy season.

This developed as PHO Sanitary Inspector R. Dilig reported that there were 35 deaths out of 2,749 dengue cases in Cavite in 2010, the highest number recorded so far in the province.

Dilig said dengue strikes even during summer but there are more cases reported during the rainy season or the period from June to November.

He reminded everyone that dengue can be prevented through self-sanitation, cleaning the surroundings and regular medical checkup. (Anthony Giron)’’

‘Grass’ suspect falls in Tarlac

TARLAC CITY — Police arrested Wednesday a suspected drug pusher after police confiscated from him five bricks of marijuana and fruiting tops hidden in his home refrigerator in Barangay Carino, Paniqui town.

Sr. Supt. Alfredo Corpuz, Tarlac police director, said covert agents led by poseur-buyer Police Officer 1 Allan F. Junio busted Joey Caunca, 39, at his residence in Baluyot compound in the said barangay.

Corpuz said Caunca is allegedly known for peddling marijuana in Barangays Coral, Abogado, Poblacion Sur, Matalapitap, and Estacion all in Paniqui, Tarlac. (Mar T. Supnad)

Comments