Luzon Newsbits
Luistro visits 'bad food' victims
TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines — Department of Education (DepEd) Secretary Armin Luistro visited Wednesday the 42 victims of food poisoning presently confined in the Cagayan Valley Medical Center (CVMC), Tuguegarao City. In a dialogue with Cagayan 3rd District Rep. Randy Ting and Mayor Delfin Ting, Luistro said that it was agreed upon that the city government will shoulder the hospitalization expenses of the victims.
Meanwhile, Home Economics teacher Nicolasa Fresado, 49, of Barangay Ugac Sur, here, apologized to all concerned over the food poising incident that killed two pupils and downed 42 others. Fresado was the one who prepared the rice noodles, locally known as “sinantak,” which poisoned the victims. (Freddie G. Lazaro)
Mayor's backers secure city hall
LUCENA CITY, Quezon – Supporters of Mayor Barbara “Ruby” C. Talaga barricaded the front lawn of the city hall here Thursday to block the implementation of the writ of execution by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to install Vice Mayor Roderick Alcala as her replacement.
City Administrator Ramon Talaga Jr. said they will not recognize the order of the Comelec en banc, sacking Talaga as city mayor, until the Supreme Court rules on it with finality. The legitimacy of her substitution as mayoral candidate and subsequent victory in the polls was questioned by Alcala and mayoral candidate Philip Castillo. (Danny Estacio)
Alaminos feasts on safe 'bangus'
ALAMINOS CITY, Pangasinan — This city is free from fish kill for the last seven years and to prove that the incidents in Anda and Bolinao coastal towns have not affected the city’s fish industry, Mayor Hernani Braganza held a “Fish-tival” or fish cook out earlier this week.
Thousands of “bangus” (milkfish) were grilled on F. Reinoso Street in Poblacion, here, as officials led residents and tourists in the feast. Lawyer Asis Perez of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) certified that this city remains fish kill-free. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)
P60-M fund for Apayao water
LUNA, Apayao — The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) approved the release of more or less P60 million for the development of potable water systems in six towns of this remote Cordillera province to help improve the sustainable development of the different municipalities.
Under the Special Allotment Release Order (SARO) that released over P1 billion for waterworks improvement in 100 towns nationwide were the Apayao municipality-beneficiaries of Conner, Calanasan, Pudtol, Flora, Sta. Marcela and Kabugao. (Dexter A. See)
Fruit downs 23 Angeles kids
ANGELES CITY — A total of 23 children were hospitalized after eating fruits of a tree known locally as “galumbang” in Barangay Pulungbulu, here, last Wednesday. Case investigator Police Officer 2 Sherwin Haboc said the children, aged seven to nine, experienced vomiting, stomach pain and dizziness after eating the fruit of the supposed medicinal tree.
Haboc said one Edwin Balbuena was taken to the police station for questioning after allegedly telling the children that the fruit of the said tree was delicious, encouraging them to pick its fruits and eat them. Ospital Ning Angeles (ONA) officials said 10 of the victims are out of danger. (Franco G. Regala)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.