Visayas Newsbits
Oplan Bayanihan
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental, Philippines (PNA) — The new commander of the Philippine Army’s 302nd Brigade in Negros Oriental, Col. Francisco Patrimonio, vows to continue programs and projects implemented by his predecessor, Col. Manuel Luis Ochotorena.
Formerly the deputy brigade commander of the 303rd Brigade in Negros Occidental, Patrimonio took over the post from Ochotorena, who has been transferred to another unit in Mindanao. He said Oplan Bayanihan was successful in Negros Oriental because of strong support from the local government units here.
Fund-raisng for bishops welcomed
CEBU CITY, Cebu (PNA) — Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma said he sees nothing wrong in the fund-raising program aimed at replacing the vehicles seven bishops returned to the government two weeks ago.
”I will not disregard the people’s manifestation of solidarity with the bishops,” he said, referring to the fund-raising initiated by former Manila City Mayor Lito Atienza and lawyer Romulo Makalintal.
The group has so far raised P2.5 million and received two vehicles from TV host Willie Revillame. Booths in several major parishes in Cebu City have been set up to receive donations from mass-goers.
Iloilo gov't creates
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PNA) — The city government here has created the Literacy Coordinating Council to sustain and institutionalize its literacy programs. The Sangguniang Panlungsod, through the passage of Regulation Ordinance No. 2011-563, has approved the creation of the council.
Council chairman, Mayor Jed Patrick E. Mabilog, said, “We want to eradicate illiteracy as well as strengthen literacy in our barangays.” The council will serve as overall advisory and coordinating body providing policies for all literacy initiatives of the city government and formulate measures on how to organize and strengthen support structures for literacy at the local and barangay levels.
Visayas cops eager for houses
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (PIA) — More policemen, particularly in the Visayas and Mindanao, look forward to the realization of the Aquino administration’s housing program for men in uniform, Capiz Police Provincial Director Domingo Cabillan said. He said the project will be of great help to policemen who are lowly-paid especially with their meager salary.
In his State of the Nation Address last Monday, President Aquino said the National Housing Authority is already preparing housing project sites in Visayas and Mindanao for the police as well as employees of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology and of the Bureau of Fire Protection.
DTI-Southern Leyte investment forum
MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte (PIA) — The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) provincial office here has initiated an investment forum hopefully to trigger local investments in the locality of Hinunangan, 180 kilometers from the capital city of Maasin, particularly in tourism projects.
Over 30 local investors, mostly overseas Filipino workers and local businessmen joined in the first investment forum in the locality, according to DTI Trade and Industry Specialist II Sandra Alcober.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.