Visayas Newsbits
Iloilo Day
ILOILO CITY, Philippines (PIA) — It will be another eventful celebration for Ilonggos as this city marks its 74th Charter Day on Aug. 25, which has been declared by Malacañang as a special non-working holiday. Iloilo City Tourism Officer Ben Jimena said the second year celebration of the city’s Charter Day will feature 40 activities involving various sectors of the community.
Highlight events are the Grand Civic Parade, Mayor’s Ball, Search for Dungog sang Dakbanwa sang Iloilo, Search for Most Outstanding City Government Employees, Photo Exhibits featuring pictures of Iloilo then and now, medical and dental mission and job fair on Aug. 25.
Human rights
CAMP LAPU-LAPU, Cebu City — To ensure a working relationship between the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the latter has now included Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law among its military subjects.
In line with this, soldiers from the Central Command (CentCom) have reaffirmed their commitment to protect and adhere to the principles of human rights as they took their oath during the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Day commemoration last week. CentCom commander, Lt. Gen. Ralph Villanueva stressed Centcom’s pledge of support to President Aquino’s call and commitment on the protection of individual human rights. (Phoebe Jen Indino)
Bill opposed
CEBU CITY — After being briefed on the pros and cons of the controversial Reproductive Healthcare Bill, the Cebu Provincial Board (PB) unanimously passed a resolution opposing the measure now pending in Congress. The resolution was introduced by Board Member Sergio Restauro, chairman of the PB committee on health, but was co-sponsored by all members.
Only Board Member Aladin Wilyamie Caminero, who represents the Sangguniang Kabataan Federation, was absent. The PB action supported the stand of Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia and Cebuano congressmen who are against the proposed bill. Restauro cited economic, health and legal perspectives why there is neither wisdom nor legal support for the RH Bill. (Mars W. Mosqueda Jr.)
Families return
ILOILO CITY (PNA) — Flash flood-affected families in this city have returned to their homes safely, Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog said.
The mayor said the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO), led by its Social Welfare Officer Alfredo Villanueva, gave 52 sacks of rice, 39 boxes of instant noodles and one box of sardines as immediate food assistance to the flood victims.
CSWDO records show that as of Sunday, 660 families, composed of 3, 300 persons, were affected by the flooding in 13 out of the 180 barangays in the city.
DoH assistance
TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte (PIA) — The Department of Health (DoH) in Eastern Visayas has taken to task the improvement of the facilities of Camp Lukban station hospital.
Per statement of 8th ID commanding officer Maj. Gen. Mario Chan, P 3 million was personally handed over by DoH Region 8 director Dr. Edgardo Gonzaga as financial assistance to the 8th Infantry Division’s military hospital.
It was learned that the financial assistance was given during the 23rd founding anniversary of the division when Chan was interviewed after the inauguration of the newly constructed nurses and doctors quarters located just beside the hospital.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.