Luzon Newsbits
Cavite gov says bonuses assured
TRECE MARTIRES CITY, Cavite — Governor Juanito Victor “Jonvic” Remulla Jr. assured yesterday that provincial employees will get their 13th month pay and other year-end benefits even as he said that the province’s Internal Revenue Allotment (IRA) would be reduced due to the cityhood of some municipalities and the pressing problems affecting the economy.
Remulla made the assurance as he called on the provincial officials and employees to observe performance, prudence and integrity while serving the citizens so that the taxes they pay would not be wasted. (Anthony Giron)
Region 3 O.W.W.A. scholarships up
SAN FERNANDO CITY, Pampanga — The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) in Region 3 announced yesterday that their agency is now accepting student-applicants under the government Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) for school year 2012-2013. The EDSP is a scholarship grant to qualified dependents of OFWs who intend to enroll in any 4-year or 5-year course.
It shall be in the form of financial assistance amounting to P60,000 per school year. Tuition fees shall be paid directly to the school. (Franco G. Regala)
Zambales, Bataan get P65.6-m shares
SUBIC BAY FREEPORT — A city and some towns in Zambales and Bataan that are contiguous and affected by the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) were given their share of P65.6 million worth of revenues for the first half of the year.
SBMA Administrator Armand C. Arreza said the collection of the shares for the local government units (LGUs) came from the new tax collection scheme that was implemented on August last year.
The tax collection scheme allows SBMA, aside from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to directly collect two percent of the corporate tax paid by business firms inside this premier Freeport.
“This is the second time that we have facilitated the immediate release of revenue share to the adjacent LGUs,” Arreza noted. (Jonas Reyes)
Bontoc ordinance vs spitting ‘moma’
BONTOC, Mountain Province — Sangguniang Panlalawigan here enacted recently an ordinance prohibiting the indiscriminate spitting of “moma” (betel nut) in public places.
It has been a common observation in all municipalities in this province that roads, pathways, walkways and even buildings and vehicles have not been spared of the reddish spittle of irresponsible people.
“While we respect the right of individuals to chew moma, it must be noted that the people have also the right to a clean and healthy environment,” the ordinance stated. (Dexter See)
Marijuana bust nets 2 housemates
CAMP GEN. ALEJO SANTOS, Bulacan — For allegedly trying to sell two teabags of marijuana, two men were arrested by police at an old house in Barangay Subic, Baliuag, this province last Saturday afternoon. Senior Superintendent Fernando H. Mendez Jr., Bulacan police director, identified the suspects as Ramon Peralta, alias “Momon,” 29, single, jobless, and Retchie Alcan-tara, alias “Chie,” 33, married, jobless.
Upon their arrest, police found six more teabags of mari-juana in their house on Plaridel Street in Subic. Meanwhile, a certain Ricardo Cristobal, 41, of Tondo, Manila, was also arrested by police in Barangay Bambang, Bocaue, after allegedly yielding three plastic sachets of “shabu.” (Freddie C. Velez)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.