Visayas Newsbits

DENR fees

September 2, 2011, 3:57pm

CEBU CITY, Philippines (PNA) — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 has reported a 167-percent increase in the collection of resource user fees from 39 protected areas in Central Visayas this year. The agency collected P9.7 million between January and July, or an increase of 169.87 percent for the same period last year of P5.7 million.

DENR 7 Director Maximo Dichoso said the resource user fee is payment for the commercial use of resources inside a protected area over a specified period of time. The biggest collection came from visitors to the Tanon Strait Protected Seascape, at P5.319 million, followed by fees collected at the Apo Island Protected Seascape and Landscape in Negros Oriental, at P3.939 million.

Feeding program

ILOILO CITY (PNA) — The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Regional Office 6 has released more than P49 million for the implementation of the supplementary feeding program in Western Visayas. DSWD Information Officer May Castillo said of the released P49 million, Aklan province received about P3.6 million; Antique province, P5.8 million; Capiz, P4.4 million; and Roxas City, P827,000.

Guimaras province received P1.1 million; Iloilo province, P12.5 million; Iloilo City, P3.2 million; Negros Occidental, P16.3 million; and Bacolod City, P1.6 million. The total allocation of Western Visayas for the program implementation is P274,913,175.

Youth tourism

CEBU CITY — In its aim to continuously take part in the responsible growth of tourism in the country, the University of San Jose Recoletos through its Conventon, Exhibition, and Events Management Team will again hold this year’s Youth Tourism Congress which is slated Sept. 18 at this city’s Montebello Villa Hotel.

The event hopes to gather some 500 junior, senior and recent tourism graduates and hospitality management graduates from different colleges and universities in the country. This year’s theme is focused on empowering the youth of tomorrow’s tourism challenge. (Phoebe Jen Indino)

Market expansion

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu — Cebu-based foam and furniture maker, Mandaue Foam Industries Inc., is set to offer new products by opening its kitchen line which will be launched early next year. This was announced by Ryan Uy, Mandaue Foam managing director, during the company’s recent 40th anniversary celebration.

Uy said the company is gearing towards expanding its market reach in the Philippines despite the entry of similar yet cheaper products mostly coming from China and Japan. (Phoebe Jen Indino)

‘Goodwill’ deposit

CEBU CITY (PNA) — The Cebu City Council has asked the executive department to appropriate funds for the P50-million “goodwill” down payment for the properties listed under Cebu Provincial Ordinance 93-1. The move came after Vice President Jejomar Binay suggested the P50-million down payment to Capitol as “goodwill deposit” for the acquisition of province-owned properties in the city which are occupied by some 5,000 families.

“The Binay solution presents a workable solution to the 93-1 problem, which could finally resolve the security of tenure of thousands of Cebu City urban poor constituents,” read the resolution penned by Cebu City Councilor Nida Cabrera.

Comments