Luzon Newsbits
Baguio hauls out garbage anew
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — The city government has resumed hauling more than 15,000 tons of garbage out of the this mountain resort city, following the disastrous collapse of the retaining wall at the 5.2-hectare Irisan dumpsite last week. The city’s solid waste management board and the city environment and parks management office (CEPMO) decided to go back to the old and expensive system of hauling garbage out of the city as new planning begins on for a safer way of dumping garbage to avoid another deadly trash slide. (Dexter A. See)
S.K. can assist in calamities
BAGAC, Philippines — With a total membership of 336,064 nationwide, the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) should be tapped to assist in times of calamities and disasters, National SK President Louise Gabriel del Rosario said Sunday.
“We are a force to reckon with. We are the only youth organization with a network in all barangays. In times of calamity and disaster, we can serve as the channel of communication cutting the bureaucratic layers of our bureaucracy and minimizing the communication gap between and among our National offices and local officials,” said Del Rosario. (Mar T. Supnad)
Repazzo de Vigan draws tourists
VIGAN CITY, Philippines — Thousands of local and foreign tourists crowded the main streets of this world heritage city to watch the presentation of the “Repazzo de Vigan” and parade last Saturday.
The parade was one of the significant highlights of the opening of this year’s weeklong celebration of the United Nations Educational and Scientific Cultural Organization (UNESCO’s) Word Heritage Cities Solidarity Day and Cultural Festival slated on September 3-10. (Freddie C. Velez)
102,000 seedlings planted in Benguet
LA TRINIDAD, Philippines — Taking advantage of the rainy season, employees of government agencies, barangay officials, students and private groups in the province planted a total of 102,000 seedlings since the National Greening Program (NGP) was launched last June in order to significantly contribute in the realization of the objectives of the noble program to help preserve and protect the deteriorating state of the province’s environment.
Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Officer Guillermo Fianza said various tree seedlings were planted including fruit bearing trees like coffee, rambutan, lanzones, oranges and calamansi to prevent soil erosion and landslides. (Dexter A. See)
Additional P30 fee for overloading
SAN FERNANDO CITY, Philippines — The leaders of truckers’ associations in Pampanga, Bulacan and Tarlac have agreed to a proposal imposing a P30 fee per overloaded truck of gravel and sand plying the Pampanga area.
This developed as the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP) Committees on Environment and Public Works held a joint hearing on the proposed fee where the truckers agreed to the proposal as an amendment to the original ordinance passed by the SP.
The hearing was presided by Board Member Nestor Tolentino, chair of the Environment Committee. (Franco G. Regala)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.