Luzon Newsbits
Baguio getting aid on garbage
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — Business tycoon Manuel V. Pangilinan pledged Tuesday to assist the city government in addressing the garbage problem, blamed by many as the root cause of the deadly trash slide in Irisan last week.
“We need to help Baguio in whatever way we could,” said Pangilinan, CEO of Philex Mining Corp., as he addressed Philex executives as they vouched the proposal to venture on a waste-to-energy project. Meanwhile, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse M. Robredo committed to have the investigation results of the Irisan dumpsite issue in Baguio City. (Dexter A. See and Czarina Nicole O. Ong)
Dengue surges in Central Luzon
SAN FERNANDO CITY, Pampanga — Department of Health-Center for Health Development in Region 3 (DoH-CHD 3) revealed Tuesday that dengue cases in Central Luzon surged to 11,853 or a 169-percent increase last year’s January to September figure. DoH-CHD 3 Spokesperson Sherill Aure said the number is one of the highest regional tallies of dengue cases in the country.
Bulacan leads the count with 3,836 dengue cases, followed by Pampanga – 2,899; then Nueva Ecija – 2,356; Tarlac – 1,481; Bataan –667; Zambales – 489; and then Aurora – 125. (Franco G. Regala)
Bataan: new highway repair up
HERMOSA, Bataan — After the rehabilitation of the Roman Superhighway in Orani and Samal towns, another asphalt overlay project is now being implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Region 3 Office and local newsmen are begging for answers on why these projects are undertaken without notifying the DPWH Bataan office.
“We welcome such projects since it will benefit Bataan but they (DPWH regional office) should also be honest enough and transparent to avoid suspicion,” said Mike Cigaral of the local radio DZXL and CLTV 36. (Mar T. Supnad)
18 rescued from cargo vessel
TUGUEGARAO CITY — At least 18 crew members of a stranded cargo vessel in the coast of Basco, Batanes were rescued by Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) operatives last Sunday, the PCG spokesman reported Tuesday.
Lieutenant Commander Algier Ricafrente said the “M/V Wakay Trader,” loaded with 579 cubic meters of gravel and sand, ran aground while it was being towed around 100 meters southwest of Basco Pier around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday. (Freddie G. Lazaro and John Carlo M. Cahinhinan)
Ladies' league seek more blood
SAN CARLOS CITY, Pangasinan — The first Ladies League, Inc. of this city spearheaded a blood-letting activity Tuesday at the city gym to help dengue victims in this province.
Dengue cases in this province is reportedly decreasing this month but League President Suzanne Resuello, wife of Mayor Julier Resuello, still rallied wives of city councilors and barangay chairmen to ensure that there is a steady supply of blood that can be tapped by public hospitals in the province. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.