Luzon Newsbits

Responsible mining

September 7, 2011, 3:36pm

TUBA, Benguet, Philippines – The practice of responsible mining is not actually destructive to the environment but is beneficial to the country’s desired economic growth, business tycoon Manuel V. Pangilinan, chairman and chief executive officer of the Philex Mining Corporation, said here recently.

Philex, one of the most promising gold and copper mines in the country today, is reportedly showing promising production figures this year, the highest in its 57 years of existence, which is an indication that responsible mining still has a long way to go in the country, Pangilinan said. (Dexter A. See)

25 Africans study rice production

MUNOZ SCIENCE CITY, Nueva Ecija — The Department of Agriculture, through the Philippine Rice Research Institute here, is training 25 rice researchers from the Sub-Saharan Africa under a $4 million program funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

The foreign researchers came from Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya. The African rice growers are attending a four-month rice production program being conducted at PhilRice's Central Experiment Station in Nueva Ecija to equip them with knowledge and skills on extension strategies and rice cultivation technologies that can be adapted in the world's second largest and most populous continent. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)

Austerity measures

ANGELES CITY — Mayor Edgardo Pamintuan hinted that the city government may adopt austerity measures next year due to the possible reduction of the city’s share from the Internal Revenue Allotment (IRA).

Pamintuan said Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo urged mayors nationwide to use “judiciously” their IRA shares next year, as these would be lowered by 4.8 percent because of the anticipated shortfall in revenue collection.

Pamintuan estimated that some P60 million would be shaved from his city’s annual IRA. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)

CCT expanded

LAGAWE, Ifugao — The Cordillera office of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has expanded the coverage on its Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) program to five more towns in the province in an effort to cover more poor families.

Provincial Social Officer Joyce Niwane said the new areas are Banaue, Mayoyao, Aguinaldo, Kiangan and Alfonso Lista. A survey showed that poor families in the area need the assistance to improve their living condition. More families will benefit from the CCT program: 1,037 in Banaue; 798 in Kiangan; 696 in Mayoyao; 1,601 in Aguinaldo, and 1,660 in Alfonso Lista. (Dexter A. See)

Good housekeeping

TABUK CITY, Kalinga — The Provincial Government of Kalinga and the City Government of Tabuk have qualified to receive the Seal of Good Housekeeping Award from the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

DILG Kalinga Director Francisco Gamatero said both are expected to receive the award and incentive for observing good governance in planning, budgeting, revenue mobilization, financial management and budget execution, procurement, and resource mobilization last year.

The Seal of Good Housekeeping award under the 4th to 6th class category comes with P1 million incentive from the Performance Challenge Fund (PCF). (Dexter A. See)

Comments