Luzon Newsbits

DILG seal for Zambales towns

October 25, 2011, 6:01pm

IBA, Zambales, Philippines — Ten municipalities from this province have recently received the Seal of Good Housekeeping (SGH) from the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), an indication that the province is certainly in the right track towards good governance. The awarding of these municipalities saw San Felipe bagging the runner-up awards for the Gawad Pamana ng Lahi in the Central Luzon division. DILG Secretary Jesse Robredo personally presented the good seal award to the mayors and representatives of Zambales’ towns of Castillejos, San Marcelino, San Antonio, San Narciso, San Felipe, Botolan, Iba, Palauig, Candelaria and Sta. Cruz. (Jonas Reyes)

Region 3 under AGI-ORSITE

CAMP OLIVAS, Pampanga — The inspecting team of the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday conducted an Annual General Inspection-Operational Readiness Security Inspection and Test Evaluation (AGI-ORSITE) on all police stations throughout the provinces in Central Luzon. Chief Supt. Edgardo T. Ladao, Police Regional Office 3 (PRO3) director, said the AGI-ORSITE, is an annual undertaking of the police to assess and evaluate the capability of the police stations all over the country, to include its manpower and armaments to ensure that peace and order is well taken cared of by competent authorities. (Franco G. Regala)

‘Lakbay Alalay’

IMUS, Cavite — The police, in coordination with some concerned groups, have reactivated the “Lakbay Alalay” (travel assistance) program in anticipation of heavier traffic on national roads due to incoming and outgoing travelers in this province for the observance of All Saints’ Day. The Lakbay Alalay program is an offshoot of “Oplan Kaluluwa” (operational plan for All Saints’ Day) that was launched recently by the Police Provincial Office (PPO) under Senior Supt. John C. Bulalacao to ensure peace and order and safe and smooth travel of the citizens, as well as local and foreign tourists, in the province. (Anthony Giron)

DA asked on 'good intentions'

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — The Department of Agriculture (DA) officials in Region 1 were asked on Monday to shed light on the alleged fund requests for “good intentions” submitted by former Governor Victor Agbayani. Members of the provincial board headed by Vice Governor Jose Ferdinand Calimlim Jr. expressed dismay that the former governor allegedly sought funds for various agricultural projects using his clout as a Liberal Party member. Board Member Raul Sison, who chairs the Committee on Agriculture, said that even if Agbayani had good intentions, there is a process that has to go through duly elected officials, including Governor Amado T. Espino Jr. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

Mayor clarifies high court ruling

SAN PEDRO, Laguna — Mayor Calixto Cataquiz of this town sought to clarify Tuesday that the recent Supreme Court decision on a 2003 administrative case during his term as Laguna Lake Development Authority General Manager only states a penalty of “disqualification from re-employment in government service” and not “perpetual disqualification from public office.” Cataquiz lamented that his political detractors had been confusing the public by deliberately spreading a misinterpretation of the SC ruling regarding his case. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

Comments