Luzon Newsbits

3 agencies to aid Zambales

November 4, 2011, 4:39pm

IBA, Zambales, Philippines — Collaboration between the province of Zambales and three national agencies is now being eyed to ensure that national programs will reach the residents of the province. In a recent assembly at Iba Capitol’s Session Hall, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), PhilHealth and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor), recently met with province officials to show their support for the residents of Zambales.

During the meeting, the three agencies made it clear to LGU officials that their programs for Zambales is aimed for the well-being of the residents there. PhilHealth also presented their programs such as paying for the medical bills of Charity patients. (Jonas Reyes)

DMIA offloads 9,444, Reports BI

CLARK FREEPORT, Pampanga — Some 9,444 persons bound for different parts of the world as “tourists” have been prevented from boarding flights at the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) here since August last year.

DMIA said they off-loaded the said “tourists” based on information they received that they are victims of human trafficking or are human traffickers. The said passengers were among the 194,659 passengers departing for abroad at the airport here during the said period.

DMIA – Bureau of Immigration (BI) Office Supervisor Carlos Capulong said 10 of the off-loading cases were referred to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for proper disposition. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)

BM Bince defends Pangasinan board

DAGUPAN CITY — Provincial Board Member Alfonso Bince of this province’s 6th District came to the defense of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan which has taken a hit from some media (not the Manila Bulletin) over reported “jai-alai” operations.

 “We have no personal knowledge, no documentation, not even ordinance saying we are in favor or against ‘jai alai,’” said Bince. He denied benefitting from the operation of jai-alai and cast doubt on reports that some or any member of the Provincial Board receive P40,000 payola from the operation of jai-alai. (L. B. Iñigo)

Antipolo gives PWD a boost

ANTIPOLO CITY, Rizal — The city government here has given a group of persons with disability (PWD) a better opportunity to earn a living by providing them a free space for their massage service activities.

The disabled, led by Eljoy E. Lagan, a 30-year-old blind man, of this city said he and his other fellow PWDs are now earning a decent living as massage therapists at the gazebo of the Dimasalang Park, the city’s plaza which is located near the Antipolo Cathedral here.

Lagan’s co-members, who are either blind, a polio victim, or lame, are all massage therapists who mostly trained in the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA). (Nel B. Andrade)

Livelihood for Sumalo folk set

HERMOSA, Bataan — To enable them earn an additional source of income, the residents of Sumalo here composed mostly of farmers were given and will be provided with livelihood training.

Retired Colonel Rene Rapisura, administrator of the Riverforest Development Corp., the company of the Litton family that owns a 213-hectare property in Barangay Sumalo here, said that the livelihood training program will be sponsored by the developer of the area. (Mar T. Supnad)

Comments