Visayas Newsbits
Holiday Security
CEBU CITY, Cebu (PNA) – Police will enforce stricter security measures in Cebu City as Christmas approaches, according to Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Intelligence Branch (CIB) Chief Romeo Santander who said an increase in the number of street crimes, traffic gridlocks and firecracker-related incidents is expected as a result of the Christmas celebration.
He also said police personnel here are ordered to keep watch over economic key points, critical infrastructure, airports, seaports and other public places and vital installations while helping in traffic management as shoppers are expected to congest the streets during the festive season.
Santander also said the police are now preparing for the New Year in support of government’s "Iwas Paputok" campaign.
Additional Areas
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental (PIA) - Five more local government units (LGUs) have been added to the list of LGUs covered by government-led poverty reduction program, Pantawid Pamilya, in Negros Oriental.
Pantawid Pamilya provincial coordinator Bella Tse who is with the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said the additional LGUs for the program’s Set5 implementation this year are Dumaguete City, San Jose, Tanjay City, Dauin and Valencia. Some 7,511 indigent families have been identified as Pantawid Pamilya beneficiaries in said towns.
Aklan Births
KALIBO, Aklan (PIA) - The National Statistics Office (NSO) has recorded a 62 percent increase in illegimate births in Aklan this year compared to the same period last year. The NSO said of 6,037 registered live births in Aklan from January to September this year, 47.97 percent of babies were born illegitimate.
“This is higher by two percentile points compared to last year for the same period’s 46.20 percent,” Provincial Statistics Officer Blas Solidum said. Of the 17 towns, Libacao registered the highest increase in illegitimate children, from 31.14 percent in 2010 to 41.35 in 2011, or an increase of 10.2 percentile points.
Minorities covered
TACLOBAN CITY Leyte (PIA) – There are indigenous people (IPs) in Eastern Visayas who are beneficiaries of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program(4Ps) Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Region 8 Director Leticia Diokno said.
She said 63 Badjao families from Bato, Leyte and six Maman-wa families from San Jose de Buan, Samar are in the list of 4Ps beneficiaries in Eastern Visayas. Leyte Provincial Link, Paula Unay said the Badjaos “really want to change the negative perception that people have about them, especially of being lazy. That is why they see Pantawid Pamilya as a challenge.
Founding Anniversary
BORONGAN CITY, Eastern Samar (PIA) - Eastern Samar Governor Conrado Nicart, Jr and the Binibining Silangan beauties led the recent celebration of 46th founding anniversary celebration of Eastern Samar province with a motorcade around the capital city, Borongan.
The celebration highlights include an Agri-Tourism Fair, a band competition, a festival dance parade, a concert, public aerobics, beauty contest and other activities.
Provincial tourism and information officer, Ms. Sentay Quitorio said the province marks November 9 as the foundation day because it was on this day in 1965 when Estehanons said yes to a plebiscite, if they are willing to belong to another province called Eastern Samar.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.