Luzon Newsbits

P16-B Megadam in Tarlac up

November 19, 2011, 6:04pm

TARLAC CITY, Tarlac, Philippines — The long-deferred P16-billion Balog-Balog Irrigation Multipurpose Project (BBIMP), also known as the proposed “Megadam” in the western part of this province, is expected to finally start construction by next year, Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Proceso Alcala said yesterday. Earlier, Alcala said the irrigation project would not only provide water for year-round irrigation for farm lands in the province but could serve as a drainage system as well. Governor Victor Yap expressed confidence that the BBIMP project will push through. (Franco G. Regala)

Security in Imus prevails – Police

IMUS, Cavite — Security and peace prevails in this town despite the political developments that transpired this week, following the local court decision declaring Emmanuel L. Maliksi as the duly-elected mayor, the police said yesterday. Superintendent Hersan H. Mojica, Imus police officer-in-charge (OIC), said that there was no reported political-related incident in the town's 97 barangays (villages) since the court decision was handed down last Tuesday (November 15) even as supporters of incumbent Mayor Homer T. Saquilayan, who is in the United States, massed up at the municipal hall grounds yesterday. (Anthony Giron)

Artificial reef

SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union — Naval forces based at Poro Point here joined scuba divers from concerned line agencies in an artificial reef-laying activity on the seabed of the Kasay protected area earlier this week. Captain Rommel Jude G. Ong, Naval Forces in North Luzon commander, said the activity is part of the program to restore the beauty and marine resources of Lingayen Gulf with its corals and fishes that are affected by illegal fishing activities. (Philippine Information Agency)

CIS eyes Aeta feeding program

CAMP OLIVAS, Pampanga — Members of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group’s Community Investigative Support (CIS) in Central Luzon will conduct a feeding program for Aetas, the first-ever adopted community program of the CIS. The feeding program comes right after the CIS elected their officers Wednesday and supervised by Sr. Supt. Rudy Lacadin. Elected officers were Ben Canlas, President; Marlon Romero, Vice President; Omar Ravelo, Secretary; Mamerto Buque, Treasurer; Luis Vitug, Auditor; Rommel Soriano, PRO. Members of the Board of directors were Alex Manlutac of Bataan; Florence Parica of Pampanga; Antonio Santos of Bulacan; Francis Doria of Zambales, June Santiago of Tarlac and Michael Parungao of Nueva Ecija. (Mar T. Supnad)

Palarong Pambansa back in Pangasinan

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — The provincial government said yesterday that it ready to host the “Palarong Pambansa 2012” and that the event brings pride to the entire province. Gov. Amado T. Espino Jr. said he and other officials presented the province’s bid before the Department of Education (DepEd) and the Philippines Sports Commission (PSC) last November 17 and won the right to host the national sporting event. Amado said the province has experience in hosting the event which last came here in 1995, paving way for the construction of the Narciso Ramos Sports and Civic Center. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

Comments